Psychology - Higher Level

jack.graydon

I think paper one was relatively easy. I choose question 4 for section B, the one about research methods at the BLOA. On paper 2, I chose questions 1 and 5 (my options are abnormal and developmental psychology). I also think this one was easy. However, I found paper 3 a little bit more challenging since I hardly revised paper 3 information. Overall I think the 3 papers were actually good. I hope I get a good grade. :D What questions did you do?

• Like 1

@Leoc97 

I thought that The Psychology Paper 1 was absolutely brilliant! i think that my responses will scores well, hopefully aiming for a 7 and two 6's, and then i did the research on conformity to group norms, so i talked about Sherif and Asch and also Zimbardo and the prison experiment! 

Paper 2 i did question 2, 'discuss gender variations in the prevalence of one or more disorder and then also question 9 'treatments for substance abuse and addictive behaviour'  as i do abnormal and health! hopefully aiming for a 15-17 on my health essay and then a 12-15 for my abnormal essay :) 

As qualitative research was the last thing we learnt, it was still fresh in my memory so i thought it was relatively easy! thought the study was pretty interesting though! hope you score well!!

Hey,

I have started this year the IB course and I have chosen as standard level: Maths, Environmental Studies, Spanish and as higher level: English, Psychology, Economics.

I am struggling a bit with psychology and I was wondering if you could give me some basic answers:

Did you struggle at the start of the course?

Are the exams that difficult?

How should I structure a 8 point and 22 point essay?

I am glad to hear that your exams went well. :)

Thank you

Hey,

I have started this year the IB course and I have chosen as standard level: Maths, Environmental Studies, Spanish and as higher level: English, Psychology, Economics.

I am struggling a bit with psychology and I was wondering if you could give me some basic answers:

Did you struggle at the start of the course?

Are the exams that difficult?

How should I structure a 8 point and 22 point essay?

I am glad to hear that your exams went well. :)

Thank you

At the beginning, everyone struggles. You just have to relax and stay focus on everything your teacher tells you and read all the studies you can from your books - this is extremely helpful at the end! - 

The exams aren't that difficult. When I started studying Psychology, one of the seniors students told that it was impossible to ace Psychology, however, once I experienced the exams, I think that this isn't true. Exams are easy, only if you study. 

An 8 marks question is a short answer question. In this kind of questions, you need to go straight to the point, with just a little introduction as well as a short conclusion. This type of questions are easy, however you NEED TO FOLLOW THE COMMAND TERM. This verb tells you what you have to do and in which things you need to focus, therefore, study what each verb means and what it requires from you. On the other hand, a 22 marks question is a long answer questions, meaning that all of these are essays, therefore, the level of difficulty increases. In these questions you need to have an introduction stating the definitions of what the question is asking you, your aim and making the connections between the terms that you are going to analyse; then you need a body in which you develop your arguments, SUPPORTING THEM WITH RELEVANT RESEARCH, and then finish with a conclusion stating your final opinions and answering the whole question.

I hope you find this helpful  :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't know whether the exam was easy or hard, & idk which time zone i did. But for paper 1 I got questions on evolutionary behaviour, research methods, and social identity theory....did anyone do this?

I don't know whether the exam was easy or hard, & idk which time zone i did. But for paper 1 I got questions on evolutionary behaviour, research methods, and social identity theory....did anyone do this?

I think had the same questions, so you're in TZ1 (which is just the exams for the Americas). I talked about disgust for the evolutionary behavior (referencing Curtis and Fessler), I don't even remember what the research methods one was, and I think I did well on SID as I mentioned all the stages of it and used Sherif's Robber's Cave as support. 

• Like 1

I think had the same questions, so you're in TZ1 (which is just the exams for the Americas). I talked about disgust for the evolutionary behavior (referencing Curtis and Fessler), I don't even remember what the research methods one was, and I think I did well on SID as I mentioned all the stages of it and used Sherif's Robber's Cave as support. 

Yes! I used fessler 2005 for the evolutionary question, and then I used Loftus and Palmer for the research methods, and then I used Tajfel for social Identity theory but idk.. yes sherifs robber's cave experiment is also a good demonstration of SIT. which question did you pick for section B?

Yes! I used fessler 2005 for the evolutionary question, and then I used Loftus and Palmer for the research methods, and then I used Tajfel for social Identity theory but idk.. yes sherifs robber's cave experiment is also a good demonstration of SIT. which question did you pick for section B?

I picked the one about why certain research methods are used in the BLOA. I talked about how we use animal research because of ethics (we can't just go cut people's brain up) and case studies and how we can use humans but only when some incident has occurred independent of a researcher; with these two, I talked about rosenweig and bennett's rat neuroplasticity study and then Genie and Phineas Gage. What did you write about? And what was question 2 in section A?

Edited by Connor Grady

I picked the one about why certain research methods are used in the BLOA. I talked about how we use animal research because of ethics (we can't just go cut people's brain up) and case studies and how we can use humans but only when some incident has occurred independent of a researcher; with these two, I talked about rosenweig and bennett's rat neuroplasticity study and then Genie and Phineas Gage. What did you write about? And what was question 2 in section A?

Ah, that sounds good! Phineas Gage is a good example. Question 2 in section A was "Discuss why particular research methods are used at the cognitive levels of analysis" and I picked the question on Compliance techniques in Section B

Ah, that sounds good! Phineas Gage is a good example. Question 2 in section A was "Discuss why particular research methods are used at the cognitive levels of analysis" and I picked the question on Compliance techniques in Section B

Perhaps we had slightly different papers. What region are you from? I remember now that number 2 in section A was something like "how does culture influence one cognitive process". I talked about Cole and Scribner and how they found that memorization styles differed across cultures. And i don't remember a question on Section B plainly asking about compliance techniques. Mine was the BLOA one that I answered. Another one was about ethics in CLOA research, and I don't remember the SCLOA one. 

Perhaps we had slightly different papers. What region are you from? I remember now that number 2 in section A was something like "how does culture influence one cognitive process". I talked about Cole and Scribner and how they found that memorization styles differed across cultures. And i don't remember a question on Section B plainly asking about compliance techniques. Mine was the BLOA one that I answered. Another one was about ethics in CLOA research, and I don't remember the SCLOA one. 

Yeah then we probably had different papers 

• 3 weeks later...

Paper one was doable. I honestly did not like the bio loa question and the cog loa question in section A. But the sociocultural question on Henry Tajfel's social identity theory was extremely easy and straightforward. For section B, I was stuck between the question on different research methods used at the BIO LOA and the brain imaging. I ended up doing question 4 and used case study- Phineas Gage and experimentation- Rosenweig

Paper 2 was easier and I believed I enjoyed the most. I id he health option and answered the question on factors that lead to the development of substance abuse/addictive behavior. I used stress and the media as two factors. Then, my favorite, was sports psychology. Everyone else in my class focused on either abnormal, developmental, or health. I mainly focused on abnormal, health, and sports psychology. Sports psychology is actually really easy lol and i'm happy I reviewed it since there was NO question on stress unfortunately :(. I as stuck choosing the question on motivation and the question on drug use in sports for the sports psych question. I ended up choosing motivation and used two theories to support it: Bandura's Self efficacy and the achievement theory. 

Paper 3 was also extremely easy. All you'd have to do basically is review the vocab words in the qualitative section of the IB psych companion book and know how to apply it in the research in paper 3. It was basically an easy 30 marks. 

Overall, the psych exam was surprisingly one of my easiest exams. I believe I'd get no lower than a 5 lol. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ELSE!