swepati

Hi!

Are there any Indian students or non-UK/US citizens here who took a gap year and applied to the US or UK universities after the gap year? 

I'm in IB year 2 and decided to take a gap year. I want to build my skill sets and add new and diverse experiences to life before heading to college, preferably in the States. I also want to utilize the time to do internship and add to my CV for my Business degree later. I wanted to know if taking a Gap Year is going to hinder my chances of getting into a good university. So, if anybody here has an advice or comments, please feel free to share! 

Thank you so much for your time!

It won't penalise you in the UK. In fact if you've done relevant things in your gap year, it will provide good material for your personal statement. Plus, you'll already have your grades so you won't have to worry about offers and stuff. You can even apply this year and apply for deferred entry so you know you've got a place secured, although you've already missed the Oxbridge/Medicine/Vet deadlines. Otherwise - go for it - enjoy your year :)

Thank you so much for the reply, Sandwich! 

I feel like studying in the UK is more expensive than in the US, especially with fewer scholarships for international students. That's one of the major reasons behind my inclination towards universities in the US. Also, you know most often our predicted grades are higher than, sometimes drastically higher than our final grades. I'm worried that would work against my chances. I think Oxbridge was way out of my league anyway. :P 

Do you know any good Business programs for international students there? 

Thanks again. :) 

I'm not quite well-informed on scholarships in the US and UK but tuition in the US costs a hell of a lot more than it does in the UK. Additionally, degrees in the US are almost always longer in duration. That would probably make the US a lot more expensive to study in. 

Either way, if you're looking at Business in the US, I think there are lots of options, depending on the level of selectivity you're looking at. For the most selective courses, look at Wharton at UPenn, Dyson at Cornell, Ross at UMich, Kellogg at Northwestern, MCDonough at Georgetown and Emory (don't know the name of it's business program). If you're looking at less selective colleges, there's Babson, Drexel, and Penn State. If you're looking at less selective places, well I actually haven't done any sort of research on that so I wouldn't know, but I'd imagine smaller state schools would fit the bill. All the places I listed have undergraduate business programs (or are undergraduate business programs). 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot veregudmen! 

I really like the programs at Wharton and Ross. Ross is my favorite, though. For the majors I'm looking at, Ross has an excellent curriculum. I believe I have more chances of getting a scholarship (at least a small one) if I went to a US university. I'm really worried about how this gap year is going to affect my admissions later, but I'm ready to face it. 

Can anyone here share creative and unique gap year ideas or programs they heard of?