Written Task 1- tips/suggestions needed

Hi,

My written task focuses on "Language and gender," and our teacher said we can use any source as long as it relates to the focus (language and gender). I decided to do this on the movie (source) Fury and how it represents gender in the male gender- it shows how men in the male gender are influenced to be one way, and are not accepted if they are another way; so essentially a character in the movie is looked down upon by his teammates (other males) as he is not "manly" enough for them; this character throughout the film, through constant pressure by his teammates (to develop the manly characteristics), develops into the "man" his teammates consider to be a "man." So I'm going to be focusing on how discrimination (in a way) in one gender (in this case, male gender) is portrayed.

The text type I've chosen to go along with this is a letter; a letter from this character (the one being discriminated) to his family (after the war is over) explaining how he was being discriminated by his teammates for not being "manly" enough and was pressurized to develop these "manly" characteristics to become the ideal "man." So the letter will basically cover the development of this character (in the male gender) throughout the film.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? This is my first Written Task 1, so I'm just a bit unsure. Any tips/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Okayy let's do some clearing up first. Assuming you're taking HL, you need two written tasks, one related to parts 1 and 2 of the course (basically, language), and the other related to literature. What I got from your post (sorry if I'm wrong) is that you want to do a creative task based on a film, while reflecting on language and gender. 

Now, if you want to show only the character development, the letter is perfect. Although I haven't seen the movie, I've looked it up, and war story seems to provide you with a lot of material. So this makes it perfect for a creative Task 1, but for literature. So for going on with the film, and analyzing the aspects which your teacher requests, I suggest you change your text type. What comes to my mind is, for example, a speech or a lecture on discrimination, using direct quotes from the movie to prove your point, such as "this and this statement discriminates the character because...".

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, feel free to write back. :)

Sorry I don't understand what you meant by the first sentence. As far as the analyzing goes, I don't know what to do. I mean I'll just talk about how he was one way, but due to constant pressure, he changed himself to be more "manly" and become the more accepted "man." I'll basically show his development in the male gender.

What I suggest is, take a type of text to write ( opinion column, article etc) and write about the movie there. Talk about what the character goes under. If you do an opinion column, you can say that he felt immense strain and hence changed his attitude. Give your opinion about how the movie shows men. Since you are doing a letter, you can talk to the person about what you think is being shown in the movie. Also, I hope you that a rationale is necessary. In that you have tp talk about how your task connects to the topic. By connect they mean is similar to ( eg- lets say you read an article about sex discrimination, you can say that it is like this) and the devices used.

Hope I helped

If I'm getting you right, you are having troubles with relating language into this written task... SO AM I, we are also having a written task on gender and sexuality now and I have no idea what I want to point out and I just don't seem to be able to think through. But I really like your idea, it sounds really creative to me. 

• 4 weeks later...

try to find some critical theories which can help you understand more how gender roles perform in the language contexts (may be the one that you focus on or not). there is a book i strongly suggest you to read called "the beginning theory". read those parts that may be related to gender. :)