November 2014 Biology HL paper 1&2

susanne

I thought both papers were quite nice. The Genetics question for multiple choice (figuring out who is homozygous or heterozygous) was a complete guess for me. Oh the question on colon irrigation....wow...didn't seem relevant to anything. I picked the one which said undigested food is going to be washed away. Large intestines do absorb water....but it didn't seem like a negative aspect of colon irrigation (which is what i believe the question was asking). I may be completely wrong. 

Edited by Hayden66

I thought both papers were quite nice. The Genetics question for multiple choice (figuring out who is homozygous or heterozygous) was a complete guess for me. Oh the question on colon irrigation....wow...didn't seem relevant to anything. I picked the one which said undigested food is going to be washed away. Large intestines do absorb water....but it didn't seem like a negative aspect of colon irrigation (which is what i believe the question was asking). I may be completely wrong. 

yeah for the genetics one i said it was D, because it was the only one that could possibly work

and i picked the one about bacteria being flushed away....

paper 1 was quite strange in its ways

Am sure you're right for both. Paper two was quite nice for me too. I wrote a couple of pages just on translation (essay question 5 I believe), but then again i added the pre-initiation phase as well.  Great predicted scores, you applying for medicine by any chance?

Edited by Hayden66

Am sure you're right for both. Paper two was quite nice for me too. I wrote a couple of pages just on translation (essay question 5 I believe), but then again i added the pre-initiation phase as well.  Great predicted scores, you applying for medicine by any chance?

ahahahaha I hope so

wow I completely forgot about the pre-initiation phase

nope; I'm hoping for 42 but atm if I get 40 I will be really really happy. Finally decided that medicine isn't quite the pathway i want to take straight after high school

Hope your paper 3 went well. I decided not to revise as much for it. Paid a hefty price. Goodbye 7. 

ahh well, you'd never know. Pretty sure I screwed up an extended response.

(observed the 24hr rule)

ahh well, you'd never

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, do you mind telling me what came up in paper 2?

Also, do you remember anything from paper 1?

Thank you so much :)

Paper 2 had this question about the effectiveness of some drug, and then it developed into a question about comparing the effectiveness of sodium and potassium in lowering blood pressure (I think)

then I remember stuff about greenhouse gases and their effects. 

Section B had questions about placenta (as usual), transcription and translations, IVF (the ethics of it)

and that's as much as I can remeber