Nha Khanh Ly

Hi
I have math, chemistry and physics as my HL.
The problem is that I'm the only one doing physics in my IB school. So I did the HL physics options during my IB1 and the core during my IB2. The syllabus for the science has changed and there is new IB physics teacher. She's going through the core very slow and only teach the SL part now. I'm afraid I have to self study HL materials. The only thing is, I still can drop to SL PHYSICS and take HL English B. But then I will have to keep HL CHEMISTRY, which I really don't like.

What should I do? Guys please help me. If you were me, what will you do?

Edited by Nha Khanh Ly

It depends on so many different variables, like how good you are at Physics/English/Chemistry and how much you enjoy all of those three things. Also I assume you meant IB1 rather than IB2 (which is this year, no?). 

If you're the only student then you're in kind of the ultimate position to tell her that you've already covered what she's teaching you. And to teach you the HL stuff. I'm kind of confused by the fact you're the only student yet you're letting her re-teach you things you already know! Unless I've misunderstood the situation. You'll lose nothing by telling her she's going too slowly. You won't even piss off your classmates who might want to go slower, because you haven't got any! :P

Hello,

If I were you, I wouldn't change anything. You are in the second year of IB and you probably covered most material and completed (or at least worked on) most internal assessments already. Even if you will have to study HL physics material by yourself, it should be easier than starting a new course (HL English) from scratch. This would mean sticking with HL Chemistry, but I don't you have a better option...

@Sandwich: Yes I miss-typed. I did the options during IB1 and the core for IB2 because  they don't provided any PHY classes for IB 2015, but only 2014 and 2013. I did the options with 2013 and the core with 2014.

@Raptor123a: Thank you for your advice. It's English B HL and I have been taken part of all the classes, because the changes occurs during the 4th semesters, where you have to write 2 essays base on some novels. My class chose the novels that we have read during Pre-IB and IB1, so it is quite duable...but I mean HL Chemistry -.- ugh...

But then I will have to keep HL CHEMISTRY, which I really don't like.

I might have misunderstood you. But why don't you just drop chemistry to SL if you don't like doing it? In other words, keep physics HL, take HL English B, and drop to chemistry SL. This would solve your problem of 'hating' chemistry ;) Of course, you would then have to study physics by yourself; but that would be a lot easier than having to do a subject that you don't like (chem HL in this case).

@Vioh: I wish but my Physics teacher is teaching the core materials now. During this semester we have just covered mechanic + thermal physics SL materials (you see how slow it is). Next year I'm afraid not all the core will be covered , not to mentioned HL materials. But I've done all of my IAs.

Edited by Nha Khanh Ly

@Vioh: I wish but my Physics teacher is teaching the core materials now. During this semester we have just covered mechanic + thermal physics SL materials (you see how slow it is). Next year I'm afraid not all the core will be covered , not to mentioned HL materials. But I've done all of my IAs.

I see. It is really annoying to see that many teachers don't really satisfy the need of the students. And it's no use asking your teacher to speed up as you are the only HL student. So, in your case, I would advise you to start learning stuff by yourself..

Self-study is not that bad as lots of people usually think. In fact, it can help you a lot in your future university study; because many universities promote independent study. The advantage of self-study is that you can change the pace yourself. Just grab a good textbook (i highly recommend the Tsokos book for physics HL) and study it by yourself. Then you can basically 'ditch' class whenever you want to ;)

• Like 1

I would also say that although we had a IB physics teacher...he was teaching it to us for the first time and wasn't all that interesting. Most people never paid attention in class and studied the topics themselves. We did most of the SL core in IB1 and then the HL and the options in IB2 but we went quite slow in year 2 (and in the wrong order which didnt help). 

I would say that in the end, I taught myself some HL and the options and wish I thought of doing that much earlier. It does help, and you can always ask the teachers is you have problems (or ask here!)

I suggest dropping to Chem SL (I am doing that at the moment and I can tell you that it is MUCH easier than HL!). English HL in comparison shouldn't be too hard if you have been going to the lessons anyway! 

• Like 1