Maths SL November 2014 paper 1 and 2 discussion

Harrison Fuller

So what's everyone's thoughts on paper 1 and 2 for maths SL? (It's been 24 hours since I did the exam so pretty sure timezones are all good).

I found paper 1 easier than paper 2, there was definitely a bit of logic required for some questions, particularly paper 2 question 9 and 10 to manipulate the different parts. I definitely found these papers more difficult than may 2014 and last year november, what did everyone else think? :)

I found it.. okay. There weren't any questions I could not do so it was great. Probably made some errors.

What'd you all get for the volume of revolution question in paper 2? f(x) I drew had y intercept at -1 and x intercept at ~0.7 I think.

The volume I got was wrong I'm pretty sure because I think I forgot to multiply by Pi. It was <1 if I remember correctly.

Hey Guys can you say the pattern of both the question papers, if possible which chapters questions appeared the most.?.

It would have to be topic 5 - Statistics and Probability i think

APGP - 2

Logarithms - 2 

Calculus - >4

Stats and Probability -  >4

Binomial - 1

Circular Measure - 1 

Trigo - 1

Transformation of graphs - 1 

Cant remember the others :(

Felt the papers were more challenging than M14 and N13 for sure. Fingers crossed for a 7 though XD

Hey Guys can you say the pattern of both the question papers, if possible which chapters questions appeared the most.?.

It would have to be topic 5 - Statistics and Probability i think

APGP - 2

Logarithms - 2 

Calculus - >4

Stats and Probability -  >4

Binomial - 1

Circular Measure - 1 

Trigo - 1

Transformation of graphs - 1 

Cant remember the others :(

Felt the papers were more challenging than M14 and N13 for sure. Fingers crossed for a 7 though XD

Yeah, basically there was a lot of functions questions in both papers (which there usually are year by year anyway, so focus a lot on this). 

And agreed, definitely more complex than the past papers, at least I found these ones required more logic like for example the bell curve question at the end of paper 2 and even question 9 of paper 2 as well.

I found it.. okay. There weren't any questions I could not do so it was great. Probably made some errors.

What'd you all get for the volume of revolution question in paper 2? f(x) I drew had y intercept at -1 and x intercept at ~0.7 I think.

The volume I got was wrong I'm pretty sure because I think I forgot to multiply by Pi. It was <1 if I remember correctly.

I got a volume of something like 0.68 or something around that because I forgot to square the function so got that wrong haha. I think from memory it should have been 30 or something because it was meant to be modulus as the function went negative (if this is the question where the function was above and below the x axis?).

Yeah, basically there was a lot of functions questions in both papers (which there usually are year by year anyway, so focus a lot on this). 

And agreed, definitely more complex than the past papers, at least I found these ones required more logic like for example the bell curve question at the end of paper 2 and even question 9 of paper 2 as well.

Yup bell curve question. Did you get something like 0.5 / 0.89.. / s.d. = 44? (We are allowed to discuss answers here right?)

Yup bell curve question. Did you get something like 0.5 / 0.89.. / s.d. = 44? (We are allowed to discuss answers here right?)

Unfortunately the bell curve didn't click for me in the exam, so only got part a and b I think of the entire question - I remember first bit was half of 78.87% but the fact standard deviation wasn't given screwed me up (though I realise now what it should've been). 

Unfortunately the bell curve didn't click for me in the exam, so only got part a and b I think of the entire question - I remember first bit was half of 78.87% but the fact standard deviation wasn't given screwed me up (though I realise now what it should've been). 

I see! You probably received partial marks for working / method though :) 

I see! You probably received partial marks for working / method though :)

I'm hoping so! :)

For the volume of revolution question in paper 2, I got an answer that was <1 as well ... so maybe I got that one wrong. And yeah, SD was 44, IIRC.

I thought the papers weren't too bad, I actually found one of the May papers (TZ2, I think?) to be a lot more challenging ... and fingers crossed for a 7, omfg! And I agree, 10(d) of paper 1 was worded really weirdly DX.

what did everyone write for Q7b on paper 2? it was the one about "why does the graph pass through point A again"

It's because at some point the velocity become negative which means it's moving backwards or along the track it was moving forwards (or so I was told by a super smart friend!)

I did mess this question up tho ;;.

I thought the papers were pretty difficult, but not unreasonable. I though better than N13, but worse than M14.

The amount of stats in P2 surprised me. But given there wasn't any in P1, it probabaly shouldn't have.

what did everyone write for Q7b on paper 2? it was the one about "why does the graph pass through point A again"

I though that was a strage question. It threw me as to how to answer it. I showed that as after 4 seconds the displacement was negative and that at the point in (a) it was positive, because the line was straight, the particle would have had to pass back through (a). I have never seen a 4 mark 'explain' question before so I didn't know where to go.

Which are the vertical and Horizontal asymptotes in PAPER 1?

q was 3 I think so vertical asymptote I wrote was x=3, then the horizontal asymptote (assuming I found p right) was 7 as x approached infinity? I know x=3 is definitely right but I'm not sure if I got the horizontal asymptote right.

But p and q ? x it was different from q