Maths SL November 2014 paper 1 and 2 discussion

Harrison Fuller

what did everyone write for Q7b on paper 2? it was the one about "why does the graph pass through point A again"

'twas a tough one i felt  - totally had no idea how to tackle this as it hadn't appeared in the past year papers ... Anyhow, I mentioned how the negative area under the curve = negative displacement and since the particle travels on a straight line, it means that the particle definitely moved past its origin.  :/ 

I actually thought that both papers were actually pretty reasonable compared to some past papers, the last question on paper 1 definitely was hard though! What did everyone get for their answer to the last part of it?

Square root 2 (I wrote 4th root of 4, which is the same thing because stupid exponential laws) 

I found it.. okay. There weren't any questions I could not do so it was great. Probably made some errors.

What'd you all get for the volume of revolution question in paper 2? f(x) I drew had y intercept at -1 and x intercept at ~0.7 I think.

The volume I got was wrong I'm pretty sure because I think I forgot to multiply by Pi. It was <1 if I remember correctly.

I got a volume of something like 0.68 or something around that because I forgot to square the function so got that wrong haha. I think from memory it should have been 30 or something because it was meant to be modulus as the function went negative (if this is the question where the function was above and below the x axis?).

****! I made the same mistake as you! Oh, whatever. I think I pass though!

• 2 weeks later...