Updated website - new syllabus information

Msj Chem

Check out my website with a full set of (free) tutorial videos made specifically for the IB chemistry syllabus old and new syllabi (including options B, E and F):

www.msjchem.com

YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8lJSSlRyIBs8pYhQBnCOIA

Now updated with new syllabus information. 

Edited by Msj Chem
  • Like 1

Thank you, I really need revision notes or video tutorials for Chemistry.

It's hard to find a revision notes for Syllabus 2016 though.

What kind of revision notes are you looking for? My new syllabus videos have practice worksheets linked to in the description or can be downloaded from my website.

I was thinking about uploading the slides from my PowerPoints, they could serve as study notes.

Start from the beginning.

I know nothing, only a little bit of basic. I took Combined Science IGCSE not the pure science itself. My school didn't allow me to choose back then because I took business.

Well, the good news is that your exam is not until 2016!

You could start by reviewing the basics with my videos (there are worksheets for each of the videos from topic 2 onwards).

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm taking HL Chemistry, and my exam is in 2016. I was wondering if past exam papers will be useful because since the syllabus changed, I'm assuming the exam will be different (and will cover different content) than the previous ones. I don't know what to use to study for HL Chemistry.

The content will probably be mostly the same, with a few changes. Get a copy of the new syllabus for 2016 and study off of that.

The IB will probably release a specimen paper that is intended to give you a general idea of the new format and types of questions they'll ask, but it is by no means what is exactly is going to be on the actual exam. You should do this paper close to exam times.

You can still work old exam papers for a wider range of problem types because chances are they'll still ask many of the old types of questions, just maybe you don't have to know this tiny detail anymore that is present on a problem from an old exam.

Hi,

I'm taking HL Chemistry, and my exam is in 2016. I was wondering if past exam papers will be useful because since the syllabus changed, I'm assuming the exam will be different (and will cover different content) than the previous ones. I don't know what to use to study for HL Chemistry.

You are correct that the syllabus has changed, but there are many areas that are the same. You have to be careful for slight changes (such as the change of the molar volume of a gas from 22.4 to 22.7 dm3, and scandium is now classified as a transition element).

I don't think it is very practical for a student to go through syllabus to see what has changed - that would take forever to do and is really your teachers job!

The first students to take the exam for the new syllabus will be at a slight disadvantage to those taking it in the subsequent years but there is no getting around that unfortunately. There is a specimen paper on the OCC website but it is up to your teacher to decide if and when to make it available to you. 

All my videos for the new syllabus take into account the changes and have worksheets for practice.

http://www.msjchem.com

Edited by Msj Chem

Hi Msj,

I checked out your website and it looks fantastic! It's clearly organized as the old and new syllabus are divided up. Plus, they're furthermore divided up into SL/HL which is even more helpful. I also like how you divided up everything topic by topic.

Just a little confusion though- I don't understand how you divided up the New Syllabus for SL and HL Chemistry. I mean for the HL section you did not start from Topic 1: Stoichiometric relations, you started from Topic 2: Atomic structure. You skipped Topic 1?

If you can clear up that bit, it'd be great.

Thanks!

T

Hi Msj,

I checked out your website and it looks fantastic! It's clearly organized as the old and new syllabus are divided up. Plus, they're furthermore divided up into SL/HL which is even more helpful. I also like how you divided up everything topic by topic.

Just a little confusion though- I don't understand how you divided up the New Syllabus for SL and HL Chemistry. I mean for the HL section you did not start from Topic 1: Stoichiometric relations, you started from Topic 2: Atomic structure. You skipped Topic 1?

If you can clear up that bit, it'd be great.

Thanks!

Topic 1 is the same for standard and higher level; there is no distinction between the two like in the other topics. 

So standard and higher level students study the same part of the syllabus in topic 1.

Hopefully that clears it up. 

Edited by Msj Chem

You could start by reviewing the basics with my videos (there are worksheets for each of the videos from topic 2 onwards).

Thank you very much!

Since you are a chemistry teacher, which options will you recommend for a beginner like me? My choices are only Medicinal and Biochemistry, since most of my friends vote that and I don't like things related with Physics. Sorry for asking you a lot of questions.

I'm really scared to get really low for Chemistry.

Thank you very much!

Since you are a chemistry teacher, which options will you recommend for a beginner like me? My choices are only Medicinal and Biochemistry, since most of my friends vote that and I don't like things related with Physics. Sorry for asking you a lot of questions.

I'm really scared to get really low for Chemistry.

It's best to ask your teacher, as they know you far better than I do. If you are more interested in the human body then biochemistry might be better for you, but bear in mind there is a lot of chemistry involved in either option.