I'm afraid I will fail the IB because of my EE

vals

The title sums it up pretty much...

Two days ago was the internal deadline for the EE submission at my school. I refused to present my extended essay (the presentation, according to my school, was an obligatory part of the internal assessment for the EE) and handed in a very BAD copy of my extended essay.
I had previously missed all the internal deadlines and the school is now threatening to unregister me from the examination session.
To be honest, the only reason why I missed the deadlines was that I was terribly busy preparing for my SATs and with my off-school commitments (job, tutoring). I could not have worked on my EE during the summer as I was working and did not have any access to a computer.

My essay is a literary essay in English B, and discussed the role of a book's character in relation the historical context of the narration.
I have like 9 sources (no Wikipedia), plenty of citations, but the conclusion was pretty insignificant, I did not discuss all the points I could have brought up and the analysis too superficial imo... Also, I've noticed some of my sentences were left unfinished (two-three sentences). This was because I was running out of time. I get the best grades in my class and I'm applying for a very competitive economics course next year, so failing is not an option for me!

I was wondering, do the internal deadlines mean anything? What if I sent to my supervisor the new, corrected version of my essay now? The school is making such a big deal out of it, I haven't slept for two days because of this... Apparently, the postponement of the deadline is out of the question.

How hard is it to get a D? I really feel depressed and helpless!

p.s.: if anyone wants to read my essay, I'll be more than happy to send you a copy. Unless you want to publish it and ruin me completely. :hang:

Edited by vals

Internal deadlines mean nothing to the IB but everything to your school. They are within their rights to pull stunts like that. The actual external deadline is definitely after January so you should still be able to finish your EE well before the deadline. I suggest you talk to your EE supervisor in a very weepy I-made-a-big-mistake type way and tell them you looked up the actual deadline and that you want to hand in a better version so they can enter you for the exam session. I actually think they may even have entered you by now, I dunno what the timing of that is but I have a feeling it was early.

Your main problem is that you may have pissed off your school by failing to prioritise properly (you can't say you need great IB grades for a course but then neglect the IB in favour of less important things, as you have), refusing to do a presentation and then handing in a half-arsed version of your EE without even sentences being properly finished... I think you need to go for the pity vote after messing them around like that. It's hard to want to help people who've ignored all your deadlines and plans and then come to you for help after they've realised this was stupid. Admitting to them that it was stupid of you is probably a good move. The school does have the ultimate 'decision' - but on a technical level, the deadline is still yet to come.

• Like 3

the actual deadline for IB submission is actually sometime in Feb / Mar. You should speak to your supervisor and explain your situation - hopefully things will be okay, but don't ever pull of such a stunt again! 

Also, please don't offer to send anyone your essays - i never did for mine - especially on the internet it's just too risky! 

Edited by ben322

• 5 months later...