Is it possible to bomb your labs and still get a 7?

SallyShariff

Hey guys,

To put it in short, I genuinely suck at labs. I'm not lazy, I generally spend a generous amount of time working on them, however I can even seem to get higher than 50%! I honestly don't know what to do. My teachers refuse to help me saying the most help they can give me according to the IB rules is very generic feedback. 

My design labs fall flat, and I'm always too frazzled in the lab to collect good data for the Data processing lab. :(

I still get very good marks on my test, and quizzes, so what I would like to know is, it it possible to do well in Bio/Chem with less than stellar labs?

Any advice and/or comments would be appreciated :)

• Like 2

Alright, so the thing about your PSoW is that only two examples of your best work will be counted per criteria. So, your best examples of criterion A across all your labwork, criterion B, C and so on. So if you do really badly on one lab but you have a decent score in one of the criteria, that could be counted. I'm not exactly sure if this is how it works in the new PSoW (for 2015 and onwards, I think), but I think it might still be the same. Don't quote me on this, however, talk to your teacher about it!

Also, labs are weighted a lot less than your exams, they count for 24% of your grade whilst exams make up for 76%. Meaning you definitely can do well overall even if your labs aren't great, but having good results for your labs usually helps boost your grade up a bit. c:

Good luck anyway!

• Like 1

Definitely. Pretty sure all of my chemistry labs got the worst data one could ever get. But still, as long as you can analyze how and where you went wrong, and how you can improve, you should be able to nail the evaluation/discussion criteria. As for other criteria? Always check the criteria before you hand it up, and use the checklist at the back of Pearson Baccalaureate book

good luck

• Like 1