Math IA topic plagiarism?

tired

Hello guys,

I'm just wondering what defines plagiarism for a particular topic as I have gathered my data for my particular topic of choice but I feel that other people in my grade or online may have had similar or even identical ideas. I know the IB is very strict on plagiarism so what can I do to make sure that my work is not deemed plagiarized. Thank you for any help possible.

Hello guys,

I'm just wondering what defines plagiarism for a particular topic as I have gathered my data for my particular topic of choice but I feel that other people in my grade or online may have had similar or even identical ideas. I know the IB is very strict on plagiarism so what can I do to make sure that my work is not deemed plagiarized. Thank you for any help possible.

Choosing the same topics is not considered to be plagiarism because it is, in my opinion, impossible to find a unique topic in these days. In fact, using the same technique of analyzing your data is also not plagiarism. However, if you choose the same topic, implement the same analyzing techniques, have the same structure, and reach the same conclusion as somebody else, then you would definitely be accused of plagiarism.

Now, since I don’t really know what you’re doing, I can’t really say for sure whether you’ve plagiarized or not. However, to avoid plagiarism to the maximum extent, I would advise you to never copy exact words from anybody else (except for quotes of course :P ). Paraphrase them all! And remember to cite them properly in your IA. The IB doesn’t disallow you to use other people’s work, but they’re pretty strict on whether you have cited all the sources properly. So make sure you do that.

To be on the safe side, read other people’s stuff to see whether you have the same structure as they do. If that is the case, then you should try your best to change your structure a bit to make it more like your own work. Good luck!

• Like 1