Sign in to follow this  

Math Ia

Help! My HL IA's due monday and I decided to do it on Gabriel's Horn. So I proved that gabriels horn has infinite surface area but finite volume, but I can't think of any other applications and its only 3 pages right now. Does anyone know any additional things I can write about Gabriels Horn in my IA? Doesnt have to be great im just trying to get a passing grade

Help! My HL IA's due monday and I decided to do it on Gabriel's Horn. So I proved that gabriels horn has infinite surface area but finite volume, but I can't think of any other applications and its only 3 pages right now. Does anyone know any additional things I can write about Gabriels Horn in my IA? Doesnt have to be great im just trying to get a passing grade

The only way I can think of to extend your IA is for you to talk a bit about the converse of the problem (i.e. talk about whether is possible to have a finite SA, but an infinite volume), which is explained quite in details in Wikipedia. You can also talk a bit about the implication of Gabriel’s horn to our study of infinity, which you would probably have to discuss from a philosophical or TOK-like point of view.

In general, I would advise you to ask your teacher to extend the deadline, such that you can choose another topic; because, to be honest, Gabriel’s horn is extremely a bad topic to do. The Gabriel’s horn has been very well-studied (i.e. you can easily find the derivations of the SA & volume all over the internet). Furthermore, ironically, I often see Gabriel’s horn mentioning in TOK rather than in mathematics.

Also, try not to procrastinate!!! ;)

• Like 1