How to learn to respect myself?

Emilia1320

Hey.

I don't know if this is right section or even right forum for this but, yeah. Feel free to delete this if its not in the right place.

But yeah, my problem is bad self-esteem. I was bullied trough my whole time on elementary school, and that pretty far ruined it. There are moments when I think I'm all fine, but then other moments when I simply cannot find any good sides on myself.

I came to IB half accidently; I was ready to take any possibility but the local high school where the bullies went. So I ended up on Pre-DP class.

Here I grew to love mathematics and it became somewhat thing I was good at and something I could honestly worship myself for. But, now my school is not offering HL math and it kind of ruins it D:

I know problem is mostly in my head but i am taking loads of stress for this and trying to study HL curriculum trough alone. Still I can't put any worth on myself in my head :( just because I can't officially be HL student D:

So that's propabky my mental problem, but it's becoming unbearable, as I can't think anything but mathematics :(

Thanks for reading :)

Hey, 

You are in the right place alright. And I can understand what you are going through. I am a shy guy, and hence a lot of people took me for granted. Hence, I kind of lost confidence myself. And I want to say that I am amazed that you can actually study HL math yourself. IB is a killer and the fact that you actually have the motivation to study the subject you love by yourself at HL is amazing. 

I think the best way to improve your self confidence is to talk to someone. Since you said you were bullied, maybe talk to a counsellor and try to get over the trauma of your childhood, or at least be able to channel it positively. And I want to tell you that your intelligence is not measured by your HLs. HLs are what you like, so if your school does not offer HL math, but you like lets say Art, and it does offer that, it can be your HL. I have friends doing Japanese, Art and Comp Science HL, and those guys are smarter than other people doing English lit, Chem and Physics HL.

Keep your head up. Believe in yourself, and the goodness in you, and everything will be fine.

We are all here for you, dont ever break!!

Edited by King112
  • Like 1

if you're that good at math maybe ask a teacher if he is willing to assist you with math HL ? If you're that passionate about the subject and are really good in it it's worth a try!

About the bullying. Just stay strong. My friend was bullied aswell and she worked her ASS off showing the others she's so much more than they think she is. She worked hard, impressed the people and was ultimately accepted by Oxford. Dream come true.

Focus on your dreams and let nobody stop you or telling you you can't reach it !!!

I mean you won't see the people from your highschool any longer after you graduated so don't care about them !!

A little song to cheer you up :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahLbQWAWYoc

Hi,

I can understand your frustration regarding your HL's. One student in my year does HL math but because he is so passionate about the subject he enters extra math competitions and courses, perhaps you could talk to your IB co-ordinator or your SL math teacher? 

Obviously the bullying you experienced had an impact on your self esteem, I'd suggest you go talk to your school counsellor. Try to think positive, I know this is harder said than done though. The fact that you understand HL math is impressive especially without the aid of a teacher! You sound intelligent and I wish you well.

Not having the HL option is frustrating but there's nothing you can do about it. Do your best in your other subjects and focus on doing well in SL it will help you in the long run:)

Edited by AllieAndra

if you're that good at math maybe ask a teacher if he is willing to assist you with math HL ? If you're that passionate about the subject and are really good in it it's worth a try!

About the bullying. Just stay strong. My friend was bullied aswell and she worked her ASS off showing the others she's so much more than they think she is. She worked hard, impressed the people and was ultimately accepted by Oxford. Dream come true.

Focus on your dreams and let nobody stop you or telling you you can't reach it !!!

I mean you won't see the people from your highschool any longer after you graduated so don't care about them !!

A little song to cheer you up :)

Thank you :) well, here on IB I'm not bullied, so it's all better on that way. I think I have tried almost everything I can to study HL mathematics, but with no success.

I'm glad to hear about your friend! My goals aren't as high as Oxford (or of course I would love it but there is no way I can afford it as I can barely afford IB books :D) but anyway I hope I could study on uni someday although I kinda doubt it.

I'm not extraordinary good at math but I understand everything they say on lessons and eventually start to do harder excercises, and before anything it interests me ^^ :)

And about having it on uni, problem is no uni takes me into mathematics programs as I don't have HL math on my paper :(

Edited by Emilia1320

• 8 months later...

That's literally story of my life  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Edited by Ann Vishinsky
  • Like 1