Interstellar

Mathemagician

Hey guys,

Have you guys seen the movie Interstellar yet? I saw it recently and personally find it to be one of the greatest science fiction movies of all time. If you haven't seen it, I'd totally recommend it. And for those who have seen it, what did you think of it? 

If you're a physics fan (like myself) you're in for a real treat- the movies deals with relativity, gravity, time, wormholes, blackholes, and dimensions- all in relation to space. Of course it's a science fiction movie, but don't take that as pure fiction; the movie is actually based off of real theories (however, it does have its share of "fiction" as well; especially at the end). 

I thought everything in the movie was top notch; the actors, the acting, the sound (music), the visuals (really good, especially in IMAX), the plot, the theories (used for the movie), and most of all the ending (absolutely amazing). 

Definitely see it, and watch it in IMAX (if you have one nearby). This is the kind of movie you should not miss watching on the big screen (especially if you're a science fan). It's unbelievable to see how someone could come up with such a genius movie. Well, what else would you expect from Christopher Nolan?!

Edited by Mathemagician

Glad you're watching it. No violence at all, just science (and a few action scenes). It's more like 2001: A Space Odyssey I'd say. It's far superior to Gravity (that was just waaay too overrated!).

I recommend you read nothing about the movie; go in with a clear mind and that way you'll enjoy it to every last bit. It's truly a gem.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I've heard mixed reviews about it but most of it was positive. The best way in my opinion to watch the movie is on a plane where you experience high turbulence, that way you will fully experience the movie. 

Haha!! I actually did watch the movie on an airplane!! In addition to that I also watched air crash investigations...

• 3 weeks later...

This was the first movie where they got most of the black hole physics down - actually, I read somewhere that they made the movie particularly because they wanted to do this massive simulation of the black hole and make it as realistic as possible (of course, they HAD to add some Hollywood to it haha). I was impressed with their treatment of the situation once they're inside the singularity, because no-one really knows what happens. I liked how they took this one theory of how all the universe's information becomes apparent - the past, present, and future, and sort of made it appear like a massive database of sorts. Wow - that truly blew me away. Oh man, and the time dilation near the black hole - this is the first movie I've come across which actually takes relativity into consideration! Phew - such an amazing movie for a physics nerd like me :3