Which textbook is better for HL Chem?

Mathemagician

Hey guys,

So as you're all aware the HL Chem syllabus changed this year (first examinations 2016), and for that reason new books were published. I've heard many times that the HL Chem Pearson book is the best, and my school has these books (for HL Chem) but only for the old syllabus. For the new syllabus (this year) my school bought the Oxford books (which is both SL and HL Chem; not HL only like the HL Chem Pearson book). This is the book I'm talking about: https://global.oup.com/education/product/9780198392125?region=international

I've also heard that there's a HL Chem Pearson book edition 2 (for the new syllabus) now. How does that book compare to the Oxford one (for the new syllabus)? I will buy the Pearson one separately if it's worth it, but I don't want to waste my money on it if it's basically the same as the Oxford one.

Thanks.

I have both these textbooks and to be honest I prefer the Pearson text. In my opinion, the Oxford book sometimes goes into too much detail in certain areas and may be confusing for some students.

An example of this is in section 13.2 Coloured complexes - the book goes into great detail about crystal field theory (CFT). 

This is beyond the scope of the IB syllabus and is likely to confuse all but the brightest chemistry students. 

The Pearson book on the other hand has just what is required to pass the IB exam.

If you are looking for a textbook has has just enough to get a good grade in HL chemistry, then get the Pearson.

If you are looking for a textbook that has a bit more depth, then get the Oxford. 

Edited by Msj Chem

The Pearson book is actually about 200 pages longer than the Oxford one, so I thought the Pearson book is more in depth. Anyways, I already have the Oxford book (our school bought it for our students), and I was only planning to buy the Pearson one myself, as I heard many great things about it. It's around $100, so it is quite expensive. If they're both about the same, I might not buy the Pearson one.

Get the Cambridge one. It's smaller and has everything you'll need. 

The Oxford book has several factual inaccuracies; our teacher made us buy it on our own but when she read through it she had the school purchase it from us because they shouldn't have made us buy it :P 

The Pearson book is kinda disorganised, though it has everything you'll need. I still prefer the Cambridge one; it's detailed where it needs to be and  doesn't give you anything unnecessary, though it has little boxes for further research if you find something interesting. It's actually a delightful book. :D 

You can't go wrong with either Pearson or Cambridge though.