Is it insane to do 5 HL courses?

coffeeaddict

After attempting the AP course in freshman year(5s in AP Calculus BC, Physics C, Computer Science and Microeconomics), I decided it was not challenging enough so I decided to burden myself with an extra rigorous IB course. I will have to submit my subject choices soon. I really want to do further math hl, but my school only allows me to take it as a seventh subject (certificate) along with the normal course. So my initial choices were 

HL: Math, Physics, Econ (+further math)

SL: Chinese A lit, English A lit, Computer science 

And then my school, being restrictive as usual, said they will only offer computer science at HL. I don't want to drop any of my 3HLs nor computer science. That means my courses will be 

HL: Math, Physics, Econ, Computer science (+further math)

SL: Chinese A lit, English A lit

I would really appreciate advice. Is this combination possible? Is it worth it to take 5 HLs? Will the workload be fatal? Will I lose my social life? etc. 

After attempting the AP course in freshman year(5s in AP Calculus BC, Physics C, Computer Science and Microeconomics), I decided it was not challenging enough so I decided to burden myself with an extra rigorous IB course. I will have to submit my subject choices soon. I really want to do further math hl, but my school only allows me to take it as a seventh subject (certificate) along with the normal course. So my initial choices were 

HL: Math, Physics, Econ (+further math)

SL: Chinese A lit, English A lit, Computer science 

And then my school, being restrictive as usual, said they will only offer computer science at HL. I don't want to drop any of my 3HLs nor computer science. That means my courses will be 

I would really appreciate advice. Is this combination possible? Is it worth it to take 5 HLs? Will the workload be fatal? Will I lose my social life? etc. 

Frankly yes, the workload will probably be very high, and social life will be quite limited. Otherwise, I imagine the combination is fine if you do further math as a certificate. 

But what are you doing this for? Is it for bragging rights - "Everyone's doing 3 HLs, I'll do 5."? In my view, you don't gain much from doing more HLs than is required, but you do lose your teenage years by doing it. You lose time that could be used to pursue more interests, and have to see through an entire course, a course which you can just learn from a textbook, to be honest. I would think it's a better use of your time to broaden your horizons. If you want to learn advanced math, sure, but doing a 5th HL just to do it IMO is just not a great way of doing it. 

If it's for the bragging rights, by all means go for it. Be prepared to spend the next two years neck deep in work though. 

• Like 2

Is it insane to take 5 HLs? Short answer: yes it is.

Now given that you can't drop computer science (because of your school), you are left with 2 choices:

1. Drop either Physics or Econ --> this depends on what you want to do in university. If you want science, then do physics HL. If you want to go with economics in the future, then drop physics.
  2. Take away further maths --> remember that you won't gain much from further maths as far as university application is concerned. This is because getting a good grade in HL maths is more than enough for most universities. Further maths is only for people who are really passionate about it. So take this into consideration

I think you're a bit too ambitious. However, it's a good idea to keep this combination for a while to decide later what course you really want to drop.

• Like 1

Kinda is I suppose, it's also pointless other than if you want to just brag to people (and that probably won't really make people like you, they'd rather you did 3 HLs and had some time to hang out with them and talk about mutual interests, just saying :P ) most people probably wouldn't be able to handle 5 HLs but we did have a student on here who did May 2014 exams and she did 6 HLs and 2 SLs, and did very well. So it is possible. Iirc, talented as she was she was stressed to hell especially as exams approached, so I wouldn't do it to yourself - IB will be a step up anyway.

I think its a great idea, particularly if you have a death wish. IB is HARD! Its a better idea to take 3 HLs and do well, rather than 5 and do average in them. Also, you are a teen. Its your age to have fun as well, not just work yourself into the ground, thats what 5 Hls will do.

Its your call, but I wouldnt do it. i do 3 HLs and have a free perios, and its a huge reason I get free time, because homework etc gets finished in school, and hence I get time to work out, study, and on the chance I have some more time, play ps or read.

Just keep that in mind.

PS: 5 Hls will impress no one and will get you tagged as either a nerd, or a maniac who loves studies.

You could of course start out with 5 and then drop the ones you're not enjoying. Challenging yourself is a nice idea, but the IB is already designed to do that to an extent, without adding in extra work. But I would echo everybody else otherwise - it's extra work for no real recognition, Universities don't care how many HLs you did provided you did at least the required 3. The only recognition would be if you wanted to be able to go around saying you'd done 5!

Depends what floats your boat.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about 3 HL's that are from difficult subjects (physics, chemistry, biology) and already my teachers say don't do it :D

I'm left with no other choice because in my country the only way to compensate lack of HL mathematics (which is not offered on my school) when applying to mathematics/engineering programme is to have other sciences HL.

But yeah, they are telling me that I won't have time for people or relaxment. That will be seen as I start that program is it true or just speech.

Anyway for me my studies are more important to me than social life now. So I aknowledge the risk I'm taking.

But to you, I think it's quite impossible to do that combo. You may pass but your grades may sink low and in the end you for sure benefit more from better grades from less HL's

If I remember correctly there was a legend member in this forum who did 3 HL subjects (further maths and 2 group 6 subjects) in addition to her regular diploma subjects (4HL & 2SL), so she did 7HL and 2SL in total. At the end she got full marks in her diploma and went to a top university, but it's a lot of stress... So, while doing 5 HL is definitely stressful, tough and unnecessary, if you really have the passion of pursuing knowledge and challenging yourself, you can try it. :)