Survival Robot

Extended Essay for Dummies - READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!

72 posts in this topic

I disagree with the fact that essays with no experiments in the sciences do not do well. My teacher is an IB EE examiner and he did not say anything about this to me. Also, i know a few people that have done these with no experiments and they got a B. It only depends on the effort you put in it and the way you write it. 

I disagree with the fact that essays with no experiments in the sciences do not do well. My teacher is an IB EE examiner and he did not say anything about this to me. Also, i know a few people that have done these with no experiments and they got a B. It only depends on the effort you put in it and the way you write it. 

Of course, it is possible to do well without doing an experiment. It is, however, generally harder than actually doing one. 

Hi! 

I am a first-year IB student, and I'm already stressing ALOT about the EE! I study i Finland, and would like to write the extended essay in English A, but my teacher/IB coordinator is not so supportive. English is the only subject I believe I could write the EE about. I even have a book I'd like to write it about, Lisa Scottoline's Running from the Law. I myself am interested in law-related topics, and loved the book. What should I do? Should I write about English? I find it really hard to come up with a narrow enough topic.. I need help! D:

With regards,

Nea from Finland

1 person likes this

Hey!

I am planning on writing my extended essay on English. How critically is grammar being graded? Noting that I am from Finland.

Is this question to broad or too specific? I don't know if I need to narrow my EE topic question down! SOS I'm drowning

To what extend did post-WWII historical events influence the writings of Dr. Seuss?

Is this question to broad or too specific? I don't know if I need to narrow my EE topic question down! SOS I'm drowning

To what extend did post-WWII historical events influence the writings of Dr. Seuss?

What subject is this going to be in? That's the most important thing. It's very broad, but knowing what subject it's going to be in will help us determine if it's even appropriate for an EE in that subject.

1 person likes this

What subject is this going to be in? That's the most important thing. It's very broad, but knowing what subject it's going to be in will help us determine if it's even appropriate for an EE in that subject.

Well it's either going to be history or english but I can't decide which one would fit my EE topic

Well it's either going to be history or english but I can't decide which one would fit my EE topic

I could narrow "the writings of Dr. Seuss" down to just one of his books like "Yertle the Turtle" and I could analyze the effect that Hitler had on this one book???...

You need to pick your subject first. History and English have very very different requirements, and you're going to have to change your question accordingly. For a history EE at least, it's got to be an in-depth investigation into some historical topic. While you are allowed to do things relating to culture, you have to be very careful that you're looking at it from a historical perspective, and not literary. For an English EE, you need to focus on the literary aspects of the work and provide analysis into literary features and themes. It's not meant to be a study of outside influences or historical context, really.

To be perfectly honest I wouldn't use this question as an EE topic.

Go read the current version of the EE guide. You can find it here: http://www.dominics-int.org/files/Extended_Essay_Guide_from_2013.pdf Once  you've gone through that a few times, and decided which subject you'd like to do, then you could come up with a research question. If you still want to do Hitler, you can definitely do that with history (though try to find an original topic, Hitler has been done to death). If you still want to do English, you can, but I'd find different author(s) to use.

Edited by Emmi

Hello!

The subject I am writing my EE about is the herpes virus. I recently met with a microbiologist at a local health clinic and he is permitting me to use his lab to do research. However, the only virus available to test on is the herpes virus. Due to that limitation, I'm sort of lost on where to go from here. Some ideas for my research are: how to identify the virus and how the virus mutates. 

Do any of you guys have any suggestions on where to take my EE? 

Thanks! 

Hi there! 

I'm doing my EE in English B and I struggle with a suitable topic. I have a lot of ideas, but just dunno if I could write 4000 words on any. 

My original idea was naming in the Harry Potter series - you know, the symbolism behind it etc., but a lot of people here say that Harry Potter never gets good grades and is way too popular for a topic. 

I'm also very interested in feminism and thought about pairing it up with fairytales somehow, like how fairytales portray women or something.

Or maybe a RQ like "How are women represented in magazine advertisements?"

I love Disney films and I also thought about "How has Disney's portrayal of main female roles changed as women's rights have advanced?

I'm also considering the idea of the role/portrayal of women in the 1920 America as shown in F.S. Fitzgerald's works, or anything about the 1920s culture and Fitzgerald or the flapper girls, I just really love it, but no research question comes to my mind.

The last idea is pretty random and I don't even know if I could analyse TV series for an EE, but... I was wondering if I could maybe analyse political incorrectness in the show Friends? They make a lot of sexist, borderline homophobic jokeks there, and I must admit, it seems tempting to choose it as a topic. 

Can you please help me with phrasing RQs out of that messy thoughts of mine? 

I'm trying to come up with a nicely worded EE topic that involves how the superiority of the United States is prevalent and impactful to knowledge systems??? And i was planning on using factual evidence like american exceptionalism and Spanglish and the map projections like Mercator that distort America to make it seem bigger than it actually is? How would I word a question to fit all of this? So far I have

To what extent is superiority of the United States and its impact on knowledge systems prevalent?

Should I specify knowledge systems of a certain type or specify a certain time period when the superiority of the U.S. began? HELP PLEASE UGH

i need an EE topic
i was thinking of doing it on History
and i would like to talk about ancient Egypt and about its pyramids and their gods and civilization
can someone help me to narrow this into a research question

I seriously need some help. I've narrowed my topic down to ,"How did nationalism facilitate India's independence movements against Britain in the period 1857-1947 ", but I'm having a hard time finding sources and quotes for evidence. I've found a few though. Also, I am unsure whether or not a graph, chart, (and/or) picture is needed. if so... where on earth am i supposed to find a graph or chart on that.:lc:  

On 5/18/2016 at 4:55 PM, Gino said:

I seriously need some help. I've narrowed my topic down to ,"How did nationalism facilitate India's independence movements against Britain in the period 1857-1947 ", but I'm having a hard time finding sources and quotes for evidence. I've found a few though. Also, I am unsure whether or not a graph, chart, (and/or) picture is needed. if so... where on earth am i supposed to find a graph or chart on that.:lc:  

One might be able to find graphs/charts in book, articles, or the internet. There is nothing that says you must use a non-textual source. 

If you have exhausted your ability to find sources, you might consider asking your supervisor about where to look. They might know a thing or two about where to find sources in your area.  

So I'm doing my extended essay topic in psychology on how religion affects altruistic behaviors. The only problem i have is where I would expand. I am thinking about how religion affects education, which then would affect altruistic behaviors, whether constant involvement in a religion would result in more altruistic behavrios, and just the question stated above. I feel that this might not be enough to write and EE. Could someone help guide my thoughts and kinda push me down path? That would be super helpful :)

Hello I am doing my extended essay on psychology.... My research question was: to what extent is cyber bullying associated with a greater incidence of depression/suicidal behaviour than traditional bullying?

but now I question is it right to consider them as two different forms of bullying?

would it be better something like: to what extent is bullying related to depression or au ideal behaviour? are depressive symptoms noticed as antecedents or consequence of depression?

the fact is that many studies contradict themselves already in the association of bullying with depression and in the distinction of the two forms of bullying...

hoping to to receive a reply...

thank you very much in advance

Hey guys I'm doing my extended essay on biology. My research question is, "Which brand of surgical mask is the most efficient in filtering car exhaust, and how does the product affect humans?" I was planning to do have both primary and secondary research about this, but now I'm wondering if the research question ventures too much into other EE subjects. Would it be fine if I submitted this as a biology EE?

Edited by potsawit44

Hi! I need help in writing the first draft form my EE in psychology.

My research question is " To what extent does corporal punishment play a role in children's motivation to learn".

What exactly should there be in the first draft, and how can I get more research on my topic?

Can you suggest me a few view points that I can use to answer my research question?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Isha Talghatti

On October 17, 2013 at 11:44 PM, Sara Jog said:

As per the extended essay requirements, does one include an abstract in a French (Group 2) extended essay?

Yes, all essays have an abstract. Talk about the investigation process and state your research question, and then lastly reveal your conclusion

As a current IB student I'm doing my EE on Fifty Shades of Grey - "To what extent does Fifty Shades of Grey romanticize sexual abuse?" with parallels to both Jane Eyre and the Beauty and the Beast syndrome. However, I am extremely nervous about this topic as it is extremely controversial- talking about both feminism and the modern view on sexuality as well as BDSM... My supervisor was really excited about my choice of subject as well as my finished draft. But I want your honest opinion, do you think IB will disapprove?

Hello, my subject area is Philosophy and I wanted to know if the title of my essay sounds like it is going in the right direction with regard to my chosen subject of philosophy. My title is:  How does ecophilosophy present itself in the deep ecology movement?