Maths SL or studies?

Howl

Hello, 

I'm in IB1 right now and my dad sort of pushed me to do maths SL. I debated whether I'd be able to because even though I was in higher maths at my MYP school, I know it's not the same as SL in the IB. Right now I'm getting a 4 in the class, and I don't know whether I should keep it. I understand things in class, but I lack transfer and don't do well on exams when questions are worded differently. I don't know if I could just get a 5 by working harder, but I'm tempted to go to studies and maybe get a 7. 

The problem is, I don't know what I want to do at university, so I don't know if it will require maths SL. I like both science and art and would ideally study a bit of both at university. 

My question is, should I just drop down and get more points, or use up a lot of energy working harder for a possible passing grade in SL?

Edited by Howl

If you're considering applying for science based courses then definitely take maths SL. Maths studies will not suffice for the sciences and should only be taken if you're planning on majoring in something that isn't maths related. Therefore, if you feel like you're seriously struggling and that you aren't making any progress in maths SL, I recommend you decide sooner about what you want to major in.

However, I seriously discourage you from dropping down to studies as you'll be limiting yourself in terms of the types of courses you can apply for. Plus, maths SL isn't all that hard and you're doing decent. Don't forget that you've just started IB so it's normal to struggle a little. I'm certain that as you progress through the course that you're grades will improve if you put in the effort. From what you've mentioned, I can deduce that you don't completely understand the concepts you're being taught so I'd recommend you first try to understand everything the teacher is demonstrating before doing question problems. If you don't understand something, ask your teacher or friend for help, I'm sure they're willing to help you! After you think you've understood the concepts do as many question problems as possible until you get a feel for the type of questions. Also make sure you do a range of types of questions so you expose yourself to the different types of question you could possibly get on your test. Lastly, practice past paper questions. Do them from a questionbank or look for them online. It really helps to do past paper questions as you'll expose yourself to the type of questions the IB exam will test you on. I'm sure you'll improve and will hopefully get a 5/6! Don't give up, yet!

Good Luck! :)

• Like 1

If you're considering applying for science based courses then definitely take maths SL. Maths studies will not suffice for the sciences and should only be taken if you're planning on majoring in something that isn't maths related. Therefore, if you feel like you're seriously struggling and that you aren't making any progress in maths SL, I recommend you decide sooner about what you want to major in.

However, I seriously discourage you from dropping down to studies as you'll be limiting yourself in terms of the types of courses you can apply for. Plus, maths SL isn't all that hard and you're doing decent. Don't forget that you've just started IB so it's normal to struggle a little. I'm certain that as you progress through the course that you're grades will improve if you put in the effort. From what you've mentioned, I can deduce that you don't completely understand the concepts you're being taught so I'd recommend you first try to understand everything the teacher is demonstrating before doing question problems. If you don't understand something, ask your teacher or friend for help, I'm sure they're willing to help you! After you think you've understood the concepts do as many question problems as possible until you get a feel for the type of questions. Also make sure you do a range of types of questions so you expose yourself to the different types of question you could possibly get on your test. Lastly, practice past paper questions. Do them from a questionbank or look for them online. It really helps to do past paper questions as you'll expose yourself to the type of questions the IB exam will test you on. I'm sure you'll improve and will hopefully get a 5/6! Don't give up, yet!

Thanks very much for your reply!

I've always found maths hard, but from what your saying it seems like it's better to put in a little extra effort and stay in SL... I'll have a think about it, and yeah, doing past paper questions makes sense! Thanks :)

Thanks very much for your reply!

I've always found maths hard, but from what your saying it seems like it's better to put in a little extra effort and stay in SL... I'll have a think about it, and yeah, doing past paper questions makes sense! Thanks :)

No problem! Although you're better off doing maths SL to keep the option of studying something science related at university, if you decide you want to study something art related then take maths studies if you wish as no university will penalize you for taking maths studies if you're applying for a arts related course.