Engl A Lang&Lit

Hey guys,

I was really wondering if I could use my Eng A Language and Literature score for English proficiency test? I am taking it as HL, do I still need to take SATs as well? At the end of this programme I will get a bilingual diploma, but does that qualify anything? Any help appreciated  :blowkiss:

Edited by es7

Hi!

As for as I'm aware there are a number of universities that accept IB English A courses with a minimum grade of 5 as proof of proficiency in the English language. But this varies from university to university, so just check out the English Proficiency Requirement for Admission page or some other equivalent at the selected university's website. Although, I would suggest taking the IELTS either way because it is guaranteed proof to nearly all the universities worldwide and personally speaking it's much easier than scoring a Level 5 in IB English.

Hope it helps (a bit).

• Like 1

Firstly, it depends on what country the universities are planning to apply to are located. Secondly, for most universities it depends on the number of years you've been going to an English speaking school. However, other universities may still require you to take TOEFL or IELTS (English proficiency tests) if English is your second language regardless of whether or not you attended an English speaking school for X years. For example: I recall a representatives from several Canadian universities that visited my school last month saying that they don't require students to prove their proficiency if they've been attending an English speaking school for a minimum of 3 years (applies to most Canadian universities).

Therefore I recommend you go on the websites/email the universities you're interested in to find out whether they require you to take the English proficiency tests. As different countries/universities have different rules.

• Like 1