APA referencing in-text citation

jolthan

Hello guys,

My school recommends using APA citation and I'm not sure how to approach the in-text citation or footnotes.

I am done with the references at the end of my essay.

However, while writing my essay, I used footnotes instead of in-text citations. 

If I hand in my essay with footnotes as references, would i be penalized?

Hello guys,

My school recommends using APA citation and I'm not sure how to approach the in-text citation or footnotes.

I am done with the references at the end of my essay.

However, while writing my essay, I used footnotes instead of in-text citations. 

If I hand in my essay with footnotes as references, would i be penalized?

According to the IB, you will be penalized if your references are not consistent throughout the essay. For example, if your bibliography is in APA format, while you have footnotes in your essay, you will be penalized (because APA  does not use footnotes). Footnotes are more common with other referencing formats, such as MLA or Oxford. If you don't like changing all your footnotes, then you should follow either of these 2.

In my opinion, APA looks so much more professional. If you want to stick with APA, then take a look at this website http://www.apastyle.org/learn/tutorials/basics-tutorial.aspx . I learned the APA style from that. Good luck with your essay!

• Like 3