CAS = Medicine

In my school we have an Occupational Therapy program where HS people help ES people with neurodevelopment disorders. It's a great activity but I guess not many schools have it 

Oh awesome, I can see that we almost have the same subjects, are you studying medicine(planning to?). How does this benefit you/will benefit you in your studies for medicine? :-D And can you explain deeper!

Yes I applied to the UK for medicine and I'm applying to the US for neuroscience/ neurobiology.
So we have one session per week, two students (juniors or seniors) are assigned to one ES student throughout the year and we meet and do physical exercises that improve balance, coordination etc etc. I singed up last year cause I thought it would be a great way to start getting a sense of doctor-patient relationships and I was also not great with kids so I wanted to learn how to communicate with them less awkwardly :P Most kids suffer from like Sensory Integration disorder or ADHD so interacting with them definitely gives me some experience and understanding of how such disorders work and how kids that have them behave (neuroscience things basically, which I love). 

Why don't you start something yourself? It could even be your CAS project! Talk around, maybe you could start a club for IB people that want to study medicine or health related things in which you talk about diseases, learn how to CPR, things like that :P A student-created club like that would show devotion to medicine and initiative, and if you are actually the founder I'm expecting that unis will be super impressed!

If you're applying to the UK then the actual activities don't matter, it's about transferrable skills. So being the leader of a First Aid group is the same as being a leader of a Hockey team etc. - it's about demonstrating leadership, teamwork, teaching people blah blah. You could even argue that playing hockey shows you have interests outside of medicine so makes you into a more complex person :P Although First Aid shows dedication to medicine so it's a solid choice. It's basically just about the spin you put on it in terms of saying what skills you took out of it. That's how this stuff works - your personal statement is 30% what you actually did and 70% what you say you achieved from the things you did.

The only thing which you 100% need to do is get medical work experience. Volunteering in a care home or hospital would actually tick this box, so be worthwhile. Then you need to get actual work experience shadowing doctors as well if possible, but that probably wouldn't count for CAS :P

Some medical schools do look for 'well-rounded' people, so studying anatomy for 6 months would be less interesting to them than having studied arabic for 6 months. After all, they're going to teach you anatomy anyway. That's not to de-value studying anatomy, just that you don't need to be totally centric on medicine. Sometimes it's actually best not to be. You'll be doing the work experience anyway. This is all UK, I have no idea about the Danish system.

• Like 1

If you're applying to the UK then the actual activities don't matter, it's about transferrable skills. So being the leader of a First Aid group is the same as being a leader of a Hockey team etc. - it's about demonstrating leadership, teamwork, teaching people blah blah. You could even argue that playing hockey shows you have interests outside of medicine so makes you into a more complex person :P Although First Aid shows dedication to medicine so it's a solid choice. It's basically just about the spin you put on it in terms of saying what skills you took out of it. That's how this stuff works - your personal statement is 30% what you actually did and 70% what you say you achieved from the things you did.

The only thing which you 100% need to do is get medical work experience. Volunteering in a care home or hospital would actually tick this box, so be worthwhile. Then you need to get actual work experience shadowing doctors as well if possible, but that probably wouldn't count for CAS :P

Some medical schools do look for 'well-rounded' people, so studying anatomy for 6 months would be less interesting to them than having studied arabic for 6 months. After all, they're going to teach you anatomy anyway. That's not to de-value studying anatomy, just that you don't need to be totally centric on medicine. Sometimes it's actually best not to be. You'll be doing the work experience anyway. This is all UK, I have no idea about the Danish system.

Thank you! Can you elaborate on the anatomy and arabic thing? :-D (Found it interesting) About the UK and Danish system - I am not studying in Denmark anyway after IB. 

Thank you! Can you elaborate on the anatomy and arabic thing? :-D (Found it interesting) About the UK and Danish system - I am not studying in Denmark anyway after IB. 

Elaborate how? :P

Elaborate on the aspect of why it was better to have studied for arabic 6 months than studying for anatomy? 

Elaborate on the aspect of why it was better to have studied for arabic 6 months than studying for anatomy? 

Well Arabic shows:

- additional skill (language)

- interests outside medicine

- initiative to broaden your horizons & learn something extra

- 'challenging' subject (as non-latin based language blah blah)

- it is unusual and catches their attention

Whereas Anatomy shows:

- interest in things related to medicine

- initiative in terms of trying to learn something extra in your own free time

They're going to teach you anatomy at medical school anyway. The fact you've learnt some in advance is neither here nor there. It shows you're motivated to teach yourself things but it is a lot less interesting than somebody who is also learning a language. It's not exciting to ask somebody about anatomy in an interview, but they would be interested to know why you were studying arabic.

Well Arabic shows:

- additional skill (language)

- interests outside medicine

- initiative to broaden your horizons & learn something extra

- 'challenging' subject (as non-latin based language blah blah)

- it is unusual and catches their attention

Whereas Anatomy shows:

- interest in things related to medicine

- initiative in terms of trying to learn something extra in your own free time

They're going to teach you anatomy at medical school anyway. The fact you've learnt some in advance is neither here nor there. It shows you're motivated to teach yourself things but it is a lot less interesting than somebody who is also learning a language. It's not exciting to ask somebody about anatomy in an interview, but they would be interested to know why you were studying arabic.

Oh okay, I see you on that point! Too bad I already speak it though, but I will teach myself Korean, French and Spanish!

• 2 weeks later...

I study anatomy and latin for creativity :clap:  Applying to medicine soon :P

I was planning to do that too! However, I never knew who to put for supervisor :eek:

We have a latin teacher in the school, he is my supervisor  :D

Hi :D Did it help you to apply to Uni learning anatomy and latin? Because I would like to do that as well then :)

Biology HL

English lang/lit HL

German B HL

Math studies

Spanish Ab Initio

Geography SL

Edited by Antonia Julia