Advice on writing lab reports?

Sceptyczka

Hi!

I know that somebody has already asked this question approximately two days ago but I too struggle with writing lab reports for IB Chemistry (SL), even though I'm already an IB senior. I have read the "IB Guide to Writing Lab Reports" and it was quite helpful but I guess I still need some guidance. I was wondering if anybody had some kind of "lab report writing for dummies" advice, preferably specifically about writing lab reports for IB Chemistry. To be honest, I'm quite horrible at science... Also, I happen to lose points in my DCP section due to bad propagation of uncertainty and significant figures so any kind of advice on that would also come in handy.

Thanks in advance, I would greatly appreciate any kind of help! :)

Edited by Sceptyczka

Hi!

I know that somebody has already asked this question approximately two days ago but I too struggle with writing lab reports for IB Chemistry (SL), even though I'm already an IB senior. Also, I happen to lose points in my DCP section due to bad propagation of uncertainty and significant figures so any kind of advice on that would also come in handy.

Well, I have no more general advice other than those that I have already posted in the earlier post. However, I can help you more with things relating to uncertainty & errors. All of the stuff that I write below are based on the structure of my study guide (which I’ve already uploaded to IBS) and the Tsokos HL physics book (well, physics & chemistry are very similar as far as lab reports are concerned). I’ll divide the study of errors into 3 following parts:

Part 1:

post-115475-0-60150900-1416958606.png

Part 2:

post-115475-0-07159600-1416958278_thumb.

Part 3:

post-115475-0-82523200-1416958616.png

One little tip: You should always use absolute uncertainties for almost everything. Only use percentage uncertainties when you quote the very very very final result. In other words, use percentage uncertainties only when you’ve done all the propagation of errors!!!

If there is anything unclear or if you need more help, feel free to ask! :)

• Like 2

Hi!

I know that somebody has already asked this question approximately two days ago but I too struggle with writing lab reports for IB Chemistry (SL), even though I'm already an IB senior. Also, I happen to lose points in my DCP section due to bad propagation of uncertainty and significant figures so any kind of advice on that would also come in handy.

Well, I have no more general advice other than those that I have already posted in the earlier post. However, I can help you more with things relating to uncertainty & errors. All of the stuff that I write below are based on the structure of my study guide (which I’ve already uploaded to IBS) and the Tsokos HL physics book (well, physics & chemistry are very similar as far as lab reports are concerned). I’ll divide the study of errors into 3 following parts:

Part 1:

attachicon.gifa.png

Part 2:

attachicon.gifb.png

Part 3:

attachicon.gifc.png

One little tip: You should always use absolute uncertainties for almost everything. Only use percentage uncertainties when you quote the very very very final result. In other words, use percentage uncertainties only when you’ve done all the propagation of errors!!!

If there is anything unclear or if you need more help, feel free to ask! :)

Wow, this is very helpful! Thanks a lot! I guess I have finally figured it out. :P