History IA- Part B: Summary of evidence

Mathemagician

Hi,

So, Part B of my IA (Summary of evidence) is due in 2 days, and I have a few questions. Should I do it in point form or paragraph form? I'm a bit unsure about this, so I want to make sure I choose the better format.

Also, what do I do if I can't find many sources? The information is not the problem; I have more than enough information. The problem is I don't have enough sources. Right now I have 5 sources (4 books and 1 disseration). I have all the information I need just from these 5 sources (in fact I have more than I need), so what should I do?

Another thing, what if I can't find any primary sources on my topic? I have the 5 sources mentioned above, but they're all secondary sources (written after the time period my IA focuses on).

Thanks.

Part B of my IA (Summary of evidence) is due in 2 days, and I have a few questions. Should I do it in point form or paragraph form? I'm a bit unsure about this, so I want to make sure I choose the better format.

None of the format is strictly better than the other. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. The advantage of the point form is to make sure that you will not put any analysis into this part, thus making it brief and into the point. However, this form loses the formality of an essay, and cannot keep the coherence between different facts. On the hand, the paragraph form looks much more professional as it keeps the formality of an essay and it makes it much more fun to read.

I personally prefer the paragraph forms and I think many historians like it better as well, just because it's much easier to read. However, if you use this format,  try your best to remember not to put any analysis into any of the paragraphs!

Also, what do I do if I can't find many sources? The information is not the problem; I have more than enough information. The problem is I don't have enough sources. Right now I have 5 sources (4 books and 1 disseration). I have all the information I need just from these 5 sources (in fact I have more than I need), so what should I do?

Quality over quantity! So, i don't think it is the problem. Just make sure that you really have all reliable information that you need to be able to write a decent analysis.

Another thing, what if I can't find any primary sources on my topic? I have the 5 sources mentioned above, but they're all secondary sources (written after the time period my IA focuses on).

My teacher always encouraged us to find at least one primary source for our IAs, because that is one of the most important jobs that a historian does. So I think you should try your best looking around for some primary sources. Search on internet, or at close-by libraries, or even ask your parents.

If you can't find any, then well..... that's too bad :P But still, don't worry, examiners won't be looking too much at that, because they know that finding a primary source is very difficult.

Lastly, good luck!  :)

• Like 1

You could try finding information that you already have (general info etc.) from other sources, just to increase the number of sources you have. That is hard, of course, if you can't find many sources :/