English literature or English language and literature?

dora95

Hi,

I'm unsure as to which one to choose. I'm only starting the IB next year, but the earlier I make my subject choices, the better. I'm going to take the IB because I'm hoping to study English at one of the top universities in England, ideally Oxbridge, so I was wondering which one would prepare me better.

Hi,

I'm unsure as to which one to choose. I'm only starting the IB next year, but the earlier I make my subject choices, the better. I'm going to take the IB because I'm hoping to study English at one of the top universities in England, ideally Oxbridge, so I was wondering which one would prepare me better.

What do you mean by "to study English"? Do you mean you want to study English literature? or do you mean you want to study some other subjects in English? I'm a bit confused here....

If you mean the prior one (namely to study English literature in university), then it's obvious that you need to take HL English A, because it is the hardest English course out there, thus will prepare you well for uni.

Rather than thinking of your studies in exclusively instrumental terms ( studying English as a means to get to a top university) think in terms of your education and learning. I'm sure you know best (in these terms) and will make a good decision. Both courses are worthwhile and challenging in their own ways. If you like literature, choose Lit. If you like a mix of lit and language, go for L&L. It really is uncomplicated.

And as fair warning, lot of poor results come from studying as a means to getting somewhere else (to "get ahead" careerwise or scrambling to get to the best unis -- it is all part of our grand illusions in the West, that we are actually going somewhere :D  "Getting ahead of the game"  

Don't study for a future that may not be there, anyway, in a decade. Do it for YOURSELF.

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 1

Rather than thinking of your studies in exclusively instrumental terms (I am studying as a means to get to a top university) think in terms of your education and learning. I'm sure you know best (in these terms) and will make a good decision. Both courses are worthwhile and challenging in their own ways. If you like literature, choose Lit. If you like a mix of lit and language, go for L&L. It really is uncomplicated.

And as fair warning, lot of lacklustre results come from studying as a means to getting somewhere else (to "get ahead" careerwise or scrambling to get to the best unis -- it is all part of our grand illusions in the West, that we are actually going somewhere :D  "Getting ahead of the game"  

Don't study for a job that will not be there anyway in a decade. Do it for YOURSELF.

I'm not going to study as a means to getting somewhere, don't get me wrong. It's just that I'm equally interested in language and literature, but Oxford's English course is more literature-based , that's why I'm uncertain...

It is really a question of preference, then.

Plunge into a full course of literature and immerse yourself in it; or dip into literature and then dip into the wide offerings of language.

Personally, I think it is really fun to learn how language is used in everyday contexts, to exert control, manipulate, signal identities, play different social roles, etc.   You'll get your big dose of lit. at Oxford, so why not go for L&L which offers the best of both worlds? 

Then, you must not forget (what really counts in the end) WHO is your teacher? Choose the subject which will come alive with a teacher that inspires you. So take a look at the offerings. Maybe that'll help you plump for one or the other. :)

IMO this is a no-brainer, definitely do English Literature. Especially if you're aiming for actually studying English at University! English Lit is perceived as the harder course, if nothing else because English Lit A Level = hard, English Language A Level = massive doss and same for GCSE. I personally think taking Lit & Lang is a risk because of that, if nothing else - it comes across as doing an easier version. I also think doing Lit will prepare you much better for what is essentially a Lit-based course. The language components of L&L are mostly applied common sense with a touch of amateur psychology, rather than what you'll be doing at Uni.

• Like 1

IMO this is a no-brainer, definitely do English Literature. Especially if you're aiming for actually studying English at University! English Lit is perceived as the harder course, if nothing else because English Lit A Level = hard, English Language A Level = massive doss and same for GCSE. I personally think taking Lit & Lang is a risk because of that, if nothing else - it comes across as doing an easier version. I also think doing Lit will prepare you much better for what is essentially a Lit-based course. The language components of L&L are mostly applied common sense with a touch of amateur psychology, rather than what you'll be doing at Uni.

Thank you so much!

Excuse my ignorance, but does the same apply to IB English literature vs. language and literature?