Tutorial sevices advice for easter holidays?

Gohardgopro

We've had a guest speaker from lanterna education which told us about revision skills and the courses they offer there, which seems attractive to me as I know that myself I will be less efficient in revising than with an experienced tutor. I'm a boarder and usually between terms (easter, christmas holidays) I go home but for this easter I need to decide whether to stay here or not. My exams are in may '15 and I would benefit greatly from extra help from tutors in preparation for them, but the problem is I absolutely have no idea about what's good and if it is worth it or not. IB graduates who have made use of tutors, how helpful was it for your revision and which service did you use?

IMO if you're going to spend money on tutoring, spend it on an individual person to tutor you specifically about the subjects you're struggling with. At the end of the day, you're just paying an awful lot of money for somebody to hold your hand whilst you're revising, and to sit in a group where you're not getting solid 1:1 stuff anyway. The amount charged for the courses is exceedingly high, considering you're more or less just paying to go to school for another week.

If it's just about thinking you'll not have any self-discipline to revise by yourself then I'd suggest that now is actually a good time to develop some (it will also help you at lot at University) - your revision should always be more efficient because you know where the holes in your knowledge are and can concentrate on that, whereas these courses just run through stuff a bit more generically. People go on them as much to feel good about the fact they're doing something positive about learning as anything else. I would personally suggest you hone your own skills of attention and revision and then if you feel like you need a tutor to explain stuff, find one who'll be able to teach you 1:1. Spend Christmas with your family! You need to make the most of the breaks in IB2 because it's quite a gruelling year in many ways and your next holiday (Easter) will be a hellish revision period!

• Like 2

I agree with Sandwich here completely.

A one-on-one service is a lot better because your tutor will get to know you quite intimately, and can devote a lot of hours into you. I had an English tutor (my english was really really bad last year) and my skills improved massively. (going from getting borderline 4s to high/mid 6s according to my school's grade boundary)

However, I can't vouch the same if you go to a course thing. My tutor may have read no less than 6 different versions of my WIT essay and told me what i can make changes in each. But a group tutor may not be able to do so.

on a completely different note, bug the people who have already graduated, chances are, they are looking for a job and would be more than happy to tell you everything that they know and have experienced

• Like 1