IB Music Textbooks/Websites

the IB ride

Hi everyone,

This is my first year taking IB Music and I've come to realise that my teacher knows very little about IB Music and really isn't great at teaching this course. I think I'll have to self-teach myself most of this course!!

On this note, can anyone recommend any textbooks/websites for IB Music? Anything about listening skills, musical context, music theory, IB syllabus, notes on set works, etc.

Basically any useful resources for IB Music?

Thank you so much in advance!!!

• 1 month later...

There's not really any textbooks for IB Music (not that I know of), though there are quite a number of websites which are useful, especially when it comes to set works. Btw are your set works Rossini's Petite Messe Solennelle and Gershwin's An American in Paris? If so tell me and I can send you some of the resources I found. 

Unfortunately, you can't really rely on resources when it come to Paper 2, so make sure you are familiar of what is required of you in Paper 1, and listen to heaps of different styles of music. It would be really beneficial if you include music of different cultures to your listening as well. 

Also, you should try and get your internal assessments out of the way as quick as possible. Performance, composition and the MLI. That way, you could focus a lot more on the actual written paper. 

As with any IB subjects, familiarisng yourself with the marking criteria for each component of music would help too.

Hope it helps. 

Edited by raroib
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

In my class, we use the textbook my teacher used in college: Music in Theory and Practice, 8th edition, volume 1 by Bruce Benward and Marilyn Saker. It's obviously not specifically for IB, but I think it's pretty good.

Also, musictheory.net has some good ear training etc... although I prefer using a piano :)