HELP - Language Ab initio External Assessment Essay

Hi All,

Does the topic we write our external assessment essay (200-300 words) need to be from the prescribed topics from the syllabus? Or can it be anything?

For instance, agriculture isn't one of the 20 prescribed topics in the syllabus and I wanted to compare farming between Indonesia and Australia. 

Any Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by mr_awesome

Okay thankyou, 

What are the rules on the 2-3 texts? Does it need to be in the target cultures language? does it need to be for both the target culture and my culture? and in the start of the essay (description of the topic) do i need to write about both my culture and the target culture or just the target culture?

Since you're doing Indonesian Ab Initio, then all texts have to be in Indonesian. In the introduction, you need to write 3 differences from your culture and the target culture.. but you only have to write differences of the target culture (Indonesian, in your case). So, you can say something like in Indonesia blah blah blah. In addition to this, blah blah blah. Also, blah blah blah. :P So you only write 3 differences on the target culture in your introduction, and do NOT repeat these difference in your next paragraph.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Omigod! Your a life saver! My teacher was like.. "you must talk about the the topic in general", but when I read the IB guidelines and criteria it said nothing of the sort.

So for example if my topic is weather,
I would talk about the seasons and temperatures etc. In Indonesia, correct?
I also need to cite sources to back up the facts and figures, correct?

Also, does my similarities and differences need to have sources to support what I state?

THANKYOU 

Omigod! Your a life saver! My teacher was like.. "you must talk about the the topic in general", but when I read the IB guidelines and criteria it said nothing of the sort.

So for example if my topic is weather,

I would talk about the seasons and temperatures etc. In Indonesia, correct?

I also need to cite sources to back up the facts and figures, correct?

Also, does my similarities and differences need to have sources to support what I state?

THANKYOU 

In the introduction, you talk about 3 differences in Indonesia. Then, in the other paragraphs you have to state the differences between Indonesia and your target culture (bearing in mind not to repeat the same 3 differences as from what you wrote in your introduction).

Yes you need to cite your sources. And yes, you need your sources to support what you state. All of your knowledge comes from your sources.. except for the reflection part.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Do I need to say these are the differences or just start talking about them and include facts and statistics (in the description)?

And Thankyou! 

Just start talkin bout them. Go like: "In indonesia, .............. . In addition to this, ............ . " And keep on goin until you've made 3 points.

• Like 1

And all of those points needs to be cited by a source? correct?

Not points, no. Basically the only things you need to source are the texts that you use in the end of your assignment. You shouldn't source each of the points you make because, technically, the points you will state will be coming from the texts that you use. So, the only thing you will need to do is put up a bibliography in the end. Hope this helps!

• Like 1