HL Internal Assessment: Heart Rate or Blood Pressure design lab?

ayexkay

Hello :)

I'm in the midst of constructing a design lab for my HL class however, I'm sort of unsure on how to go about writing it. 

The topic is factors affecting heart rate or factors affecting blood pressure. If I find a good factor for one of them, then I'd make my decision if I want to do heart rate or blood pressure. 

So far I have only considered factors affecting heart rate right now. I think I want to do a lab that addresses the factor of diet or exercise. However, what aspect would I specifically test? This is the part that gives me confusion. I sort of unsure on how to design a lab that refers to one of these and don't know what variables that I would say to test on, etc... 

I'm kind of panicking right now. :/ Any help is appreciated!!

Edited by ayexkay

You deciding what to test is kind of the whole point of this exercise. If we did it for you, it would be cheating!

If you want to look at diet or exercise, feel free. The whole idea of design is that it teaches you how to go about designing an experiment. Generally you want to start out with a general idea and then do some background reading into the factors, how they work, how you think they might hypothetically affect heart rate or blood pressure and then think creatively. Obviously you want to have a suspicion that something will have an effect, and an idea of how you think it will affect it, and it helps you have some idea of the mechanism behind it. In other words, you need to come up with a hypothesis to test and a reason why you think that hypothesis is true! You have to read around it a bit and do your research. How can you vary the factors and come up with an experiment?

That's design :P

• 1 month later...

Hi, I think your design is okay. But I think for IAs and experimental things that are tested on humans, you would need to request a consent form and get them signed by your test subjects saying that they are okay with this experiment. I wouldn't recommend you doing anything on heart rate or blood pressure though because there will be a lot of controlled variables you need to consider and heart rate is hard to measure accurately unless you use a machine. If you are doing your IA on heart rate/blood pressure, you also need to select individuals like whether they're male or female/what age group etc. and you need to consider variables like their diet during the experimental hours. Anyways, it is heaps of work and prep. before hand so make sure that you really want to do this before you decide.