Doing well in Math SL

ellie

Hi all! I'm really struggling with Math, halfway through IB1. I've always been below average with sporadical understanding of topics, but I really need to do well in my Math exam. Just going through the book trying to understand everything is making me anxious and confusing me even further. If you have any tips on how to get a handle on Math, please share your tips, I'd really appreciate it! 

I am doing HL maths and I would suggest you to practise and practise. It is actually the only way you could improve your grade. But before that , make sure you understand the concept well . Which textbook are you using? Try out H&H , it is simple and easy to understand, it will help you to understand the basics. Also the IBID book is amazing , the questions is really challenging .But i am not sure they have SL maths textbook. 

You should really try your best to fully understand the concepts, this will make applying the concepts to questions much easier which will raise your grades. Go through each topic and write notes on the formulas and include a couple of sample questions (with working out) to jog your memory on how to work out a similar type of question. You need to practice a lot, practice every type of question in your textbook so you know how to work out every type of question in case it comes on your tests - this only a last resort solution though. I also recommend you go to your teacher during your free time if you need help, I'm sure he/she will be willing to help you. In addition to that, go through your previous tests and highlight the questions you got wrong - there is probably a trend in the type of questions you got wrong, go over those concepts again and make sure you understand it this time. You may be doing badly because you're haven't learn't everything that is on the presumed topic list prior to IB, this can really drag your grade down as your basics are not solid. So, ensure that your base is solid before you start working on the IB level work. 

You're probably not doing as well as you expect because your anxious/nervous, I totally get that feeling, I'm similar to you in that sense. Well feeling anxious is going to result in you doing worse than you're capable of - been there, done that. Just relax and approach your work with a positive attitude, when studying don't think ''I can't do this, it's so confusing, I'm going to fail this exam'' - well if you think that way you WILL do badly, just go through the problems slowly with a clear head. This will make it a lot more easier - it's not only about your skill, you've got to be in the correct mental state.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll ace the exam :) 

• Like 1

Thank you so much! I'll try to learn concepts, then, though I'm not 100% sure what they are really. Our teacher is a very nice person, but sucks at both English and teaching, so it's a bit difficult with her. And especially thanks on the second part -- I will keep your words in mind and try to relax when doing tests, and finally, the exam. :)