Corruption in society and unequal rights.

seeeeahawks

My question is: Why do people like Ellen Degeneres, Neil Patrick Harris, and Elton John get to be homosexual publicly, and not be chastised for it, while if your average joe wanted to marry the love of his life, he'd have to move to a different state? Is that really fair? I don't understand why everything is okay for celebrities. Like they're allowed to be gay, they're allowed to be drug addicts and criminals, and they get away with a month in jail and a suspension from participation on TV or in movies. Tell me exactly how right it sounds for Michael from down the street to have to appeal to a court to be able to marry his soulmate, or for Mary to be able to marry Catherine. Honestly, guys. Am I the only one who thinks this is wrong?

It makes just about as much sense as blaming the Jews for Germany's issues. And it makes me really mad to even think about the unfairness that our new generations are growing up with.

• Like 1

I figure that celebs get away with it because well, there fans will stir up a huge ass controversy if they are penalised. I mean majority of fans will be like **** the discrimination, i want to listen to my music etc. I understand what you mean that there is discrimination. But look at this way, there is change. I mean, earlier being LBGT meant death. Now, the USA, UK, Italy etc allow these. Countries like India, Philippines etc dont, but there are massive protests taking place. 

I agree its wrong, but don't you think some change is better than none? 

• Like 1

I think especially in the US it's a lot of "not on my doorstep". It's fine for things to happen remotely, but when they start 'affecting' people nearby then people kick up a stink about it. Celebrities are far far away, you can disapprove of it but you're not going to do anything about it. These people are nearby and in your area, going to your church or whatever and that's a lot easier to go psycho on. I put 'affect' in little apostrophes because in all honesty I think the idea that what two people get up to in a relationship cannot affect anybody else and it's being completely nimby, ridiculous and self-centred to suggest it does.

Anyway, I don't think that this has anything to do with 'corruption' or to some extent unequal rights on the orientation front. I bet if you asked these people they'd say they disapproved as much of Elton John as Bob and Jimmy down the road.

Although I thought gay marriage was allowed in some parts of the US? I dunno, it was allowed here quite recently. Prior to that it's been possible to get a civil partnership for many years, so marriage wasn't much social upheaval unless you're a fundamentalist religioso. But it's a lot easier to make changes like that here, people on the whole have much more modern views and that includes a good deal less god - even for those who believe in god, he's apparently much more open-minded than he used to be ;)

As for the other things - I agree, it's ridiculous that celebrities can get away with this stuff x__X You'd have to be an idiot to say they didn't seem to get lighter sentences than everyone else. Case in point, Mr Pistorius, and he's not even in the US. It's a problem here in the UK as well. Capital amongst these being the fact our MPs claimed for false or excessive expenses and not a single one of them was jailed for it. Absolute pisstake. People wonder why there's so much scepticism about politics.