Sign in to follow this  

What does being a "citizen of the world" mean to you?

Hello everyone  :D ,

I'm writing an article about being a citizen of the world, for my school's quarterly newsletter and my goal is to "internationalize" it by including the definitions of IBers/ex-IBers around the world. I would therefore appreciate it if you guys could give me a brief and personal definition of a "citizen of the world" (implication(s), importance, basis, etc).

Any alumni, pre-IB student, junior, senior can post his/her thoughts about the subject in the following format:

Name: "Opinion." / School (if you're an alumni, you can still post the name of the university you're studying into) 

e.g.: Youssou El Hadji Malick Sy: "From my point of view, being a citizen of world involves xyz." / West African College of the Atlantic 

N.B.: Your definitions can be any language you want (it would be even better that way as it would make the article more "international"  :lol: ). You'd then have to put its translation (in english) in brackets.

Thank's for your participation :blowkiss:   ;)  :D  ^_^ !

Best regards,

I hope this isn't too late :o

Eureka Sakamoto: "To me being a 'citizen of the world' is just like being an ordinary citizen; you live in a place, follow the laws, treat as much people as you can with respect, eat, sleep, produce co2, etc. The only difference is that you're aware of the wider world; that you accept that, with a population of seven billion, there are bound to be people who think differently from you, and you're okay with that." / German European School Manila

Beth Durgan: Being a 'citizen of the world' is being open minded to other beliefs and cultures; It's a willingness to learn about new cultures while still expressing your own. Being a citizen of the world is uniting with your fellow humans regardless of race, religion, sex or any other difference to work on issues of global importance."/ International School of Western Australia