Dissection in class - new syllabus HL Biology. Do we have to participate?

VildeJ

Hi,

Today my bio teacher asked the muslim students in the class if they are allowed to touch pigs blood and if they have any objections about dissecting a pig, but he didn't ask anyone else. I don't think I could dissect a pig and still feel good about my self. 

So my question is: Do we have to participate in the dissection? Does the syllabus say anything about this? I will probably participate if I have to, but I would really like not to.

Hi,

Today my bio teacher asked the muslim students in the class if they are allowed to touch pigs blood and if they have any objections about dissecting a pig, but he didn't ask anyone else. I don't think I could dissect a pig and still feel good about my self. 

So my question is: Do we have to participate in the dissection? Does the syllabus say anything about this? I will probably participate if I have to, but I would really like not to.

According to the IB animal experimental policy - dissection isn't required for group 4 subjects, in other words it isn't on the syllabus. (http://www.fmvisikokullari.k12.tr/i/Assets/ayazaga/lise/ib/ibeng/EXTENDEDESSAY//EEanimalpolicy.pdf). So if you don't want to participate show this to your teacher, although it does state that if the teacher wants to conduct experiments that involve dissections for educational purposes that they can. I recommend you just tell your teacher that you don't want to participate for the reasons you've state above and that you'd rather observe others doing it (or if this makes you uncomfortable too, that you so some other work in another classroom). 

Edited by Pink97
  • Like 1