The US University system

Cami

Hello

I wonder what happens after the IB, when you apply for a university in the US.

First of all; I want to apply for Law school

Spoiler - Click me!
(or Economics, but lets say Law School because its easier)

[Close]

in the US. I think it's called a J.D. in Law...

Anyways, what do I do then?

Spoiler - Click me!
I've heard there's some kind of "undergrad and senior grad (or something... i dont know any of the terms used in the US system).

[Close]

And I also have another question about admission to Law School.

What would be the IB subjects that is needed to have an exam in (e.g Math Studies and Lang. B) to apply to Law School?

Well, this ended up becoming more questions than i thought, but i would be very happy if someone knew and could answer! :D

Edited by Cami

This is only as far as i know, i do not claim to have any knowledge but i give it a try.

First you apply to undergraduate degree, and you have a wide choice of things you can choice.

When you finished the undergraduate program you can then apply for a graduate program.

There are probebly some requirements for law school which i don't know but look at the universities that you wanna study at.

Compared to the european system you might say you first obtain your bachelor degree, then you can chose what field to gain you master in.

And i think the US bachelor degree might be a bit more broad and focusing on the basics then the european is.

For say med school you first need a undergraduate in say biology or something like that.

But some american could probebly answer this much better then i ever could :D

Xerox is right in general.

you have to apply to the US uni, and then complete an undergrad (which is a B.A. or B.S. there may be more but for an example i am working on my B.S. in Marketing at a small american uni now). you can stop at an undergrad if you want.. it. takes four to five years to recieve an undergrad. you usually have one to two years of general eduaction courses, and then two to three years on you major courses. but for a law degree (which i don't claim a lot of knowledge in) you would prlly have to go to grad school. after reciviing your undergrad you would go for a graduate degree. you have to apply to get into that program, and pass any test that they may requier (such as to get into medical school in the US you have to pass the MCAT).

i don't know the specifics for law school you would have to look at the school you were interested in and they could tell you.

For law school, you'll have to do your bachelors first which IBStuck has graciously covered above.

After your undergraduate degree, you'll have to undergo a test called the LNAT, which is like the SAT, as it is a measure for entrance. If you get in to law school, you'll go through a 3 year degree which is to become a JD - Juris Doctor. It is a degree in jurisprudence. Following that you can get a job, but that will be hard sine you're international so you'll have to return to your own country. Should you do that, you'll have to retrain in your country's law system and pass an exam to enter the local bar.

The degree in JD is essentially a postgraduate degree.

Hope that helps :D

A work visa is called an H1-B. It is pretty hard to get since there are only 65,000 visas for 200,000 applicants. It's pretty much a lottery to get it.

A green card is even harder, since you'll need family in the US to sponsor you and that can take you upwards of 10 years to get.

You do however get a 1 year visa after your JD but companies prefer to hire permanent employees.

---

You can however do a law undergrad that qualifies for the Bar in the UK. They're known as LLBs. Since you're from Denmark, you'll get home fees which will be significantly cheaper than the US.

Just marry somebody when you're there as a student, and presto, you get your very own green card.

Disclaimer: The above idea was suggested by IBStuck, and all credit must go to her

i cn'at believ you really posted it Aboo!!!!

ok well anyway i did sya that coz it is true. when you marry a US citizen you automatically get a green card... and after 5 years if you got a divorce(if you happened to get a divorce coz you only married them for the green card) it is ok because after five years you become considered a naturalized citizens.

but as a side note.. this one normally doesn't work out unless you really do wnat ot be married to the person, and not just for their green card. i know quite a few people who married for a green card.. and they never lasted more than a year, or two aat the most.

'course it will. As an EU citizen it isn't hard at all.

yes it is, a coworker at camp who was Hungarian told me it was very difficult to get a work permit here even as an EU citizen because you needed a job first, and no one would hire you with a work permit. Do the chicken and the egg process basically...

Few things to consider.

1) The US has quotas for a few countries of how many visas it gives out. Check that out... maybe you won't have THAT much trouble.

@ Mark - For your reason #1, there are not that many Americans who'd be willing to marry you so you get a green card. And you'd be surprised at how many don't want to get married until after college (there may be, but from my friends and people I know from several states, women are most likely to finish college and start a career before settling down.

For your second reason, even if it's not realistic (less than the first one) the government checks up on you. There are rules you have to abide by before you ever see the green card.