First person

CellarDoor

Hey guys,
may I write using first person on my EE? My supervisor told me to explain how I became motivated and decided to study the topic in my abstract, and I cannot think of any possible way of writing that without using "me" or "I". It currently reads: "The motivation for this study came to me during a visit to an exhibition on da Vinci. (...) I then resolved to study the effects of (...)" etc.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

[quote name='CellarDoor' post='23120' date='Sep 2 2008, 01:22 AM']Hey guys,
may I write using first person on my EE? My supervisor told me to explain how I became motivated and decided to study the topic in my abstract, and I cannot think of any possible way of writing that without using "me" or "I". It currently reads: "The motivation for this study came to me during a visit to an exhibition on da Vinci. (...) I then resolved to study the effects of (...)" etc.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.[/quote]

i used first person only in the intro...to justify why i chose my topic and what sparked my interest...i'm doing mine in bio...so as soon as i hit the hypothesis and methods of collection, it's formal language for me...

don't ever use phrases like "i believe", "in my opinion", "i think", "in conclusion" yeah you get my point

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='TeeBlake' post='23722' date='Sep 10 2008, 11:37 AM']i used first person only in the intro...to justify why i chose my topic and what sparked my interest...i'm doing mine in bio...so as soon as i hit the hypothesis and methods of collection, it's formal language for me...

don't ever use phrases like "i believe", "in my opinion", "i think", "in conclusion" yeah you get my point[/quote]

i'm also doing my extended essay in bio...i was wondering that do we have to justify as to why we chose the topic in the introduction or we just talk about that in the abstract??