Biology HL - new syllabus

littlebirdsaved

Hi :) Do  you have any idea how the IB is going to check the knowledge of so-called " applications " which are stated at the beginning of each chapter? And do you know the general difference between the new and the old system of e.g. correcting the final exams?

http://www.ib.bioninja.com.au/ib-home/ - is this site good for learning along with the new requirements? 

I'd be really grateful for any feedback!

• Like 1

Hey,

I am unsure what you mean with the "applications" part of the syllabus? The new aspect of the 2016 syllabus is the "Nature of science" component. I consider it important as it has interesting and necessary examples. 

http://www.ib.bioninja.com.au/ib-home/ 

Bio ninja can still be a good component to study however, the "Nature of Science" component is not present and the order for some topics has changed.

Ex:  Chemistry of life  = Molecular Biology

Good luck :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious about the types of questions that may appear. E.g there used to be in the syllabus sth like " Outline the process of glycolysis". While now, in understandings, it is written in rather vague way. It seems like it is needless to learn the process of glycolysis at all. Also, the stuff in textbook is much less precisely written than in the keys of the past exam papers. That is why I am a little worried.  

I'm curious about the types of questions that may appear. E.g there used to be in the syllabus sth like " Outline the process of glycolysis". While now, in understandings, it is written in rather vague way. It seems like it is needless to learn the process of glycolysis at all. Also, the stuff in textbook is much less precisely written than in the keys of the past exam papers. That is why I am a little worried.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason why they changed it - they don't want you to just memorise what you need, but to actually understand the concepts behind it. Of course, I may be wrong, but I think they're trying to change the attitudes from "knowing for the sake of getting good marks" to "let's understand this concept as a whole, and that will also help me in exams". It's somewhat idealistic, but I have to admit, I think it's a far better attitude.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you are correct. Nature of science is basically a historic event/experiment or anything related which applies to the topic being studied. This is something you have to know in the new syllabus.  

I feel like the 'nature of science' related question will be really weird... just imagine having to answer something like "How was newton's invention of calculus fundamental to our understanding of motion and forces today?" (Physics - Mechanics 2.2).

But hey all May2016-people, I have an idea: if we all just don't answer these kind of 'nature of science' questions on the proper exam, then the grade boundaries will be effectively lower XD

ahah, good idea. Honestly, my Physics teacher told me that we should be aware to all "nature of science" components. However, this is included in Chris Hamper's Physics for IB Diploma for the 2016 Physics, and if any questions about the nature of science were to come up in the real exam, they should come up in the Specimen papers, so I guess we're alright  ^_^