Nature of Science

Shruthi.S

Hi guys!

I'm taking my exams in May 2016, and beginning to look over material that we have covered so far (crazy, I know. I'm not going to have any time in the next few months!) and I was wondering- in the new syllabus, does anyone know how much of the nature of science aspect do we need to know? What kind of questions could be asked in the exams relating to nature of science? I've seen a few posts about it, but I was wondering if it changed a lot between the old syllabus and the new syllabus. 

Thanks <3

Edited by Shruthi.S

if its on the syllabus you need to know it (but is that on the syllabus? like you didn't say which group 4 you do but physics doesn't have anything about the nature of science on the syllabus i think)

and you can't really know what the exams for the new syllabus is going to be like if you're the first cohort to do that syllabus

Nature of science is on the syllabus so you will need to learn it as you may get tested on it. However, no-one will be able to gauge the extent to which its important until the IBO releases the specimen papers as the syllabus doesn't state how its weighted against other components of the syllabus. Since each syllabus section (1.1, 1.2 etc) contains a syllabus point that refers to the nature of science its probably important so I wouldn't neglect it. 

The nature of science component was added to the new syllabus so you can't really compare the new/old syllabuses in that aspect. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Something i read in my oxford study guide (for first examinations 2016): Essentially 'nature of science' is taking TOK ideas from the AOK Natural Sciences and applying them to specific scenarios in that science (apology for weird wording).

Furthermore, the "International Mindedness & Nature of Science" (both new syllabus components of the 2016 syllabus) "will make up about 1-3% of examinations".

I personally don't think this is something we really need to study and can answer in the exam without much/any preparation...

Who told you that it only counts for 1-3%?? Is there some official document or something from the IBO that states that? And I disagree, it would be very hard to answer questions on the nature of science/international mindedness if you don't go over it in class or revise it at home. I personally wouldn't be able to answer them at all since its about pretty random things but that might just be me! 

Edited by Pink97