7 or 6 subjects?

littlebirdsaved

Hi guys! I have 7 subjects - 4 HL's and 3 SL's. It's a really great deal for me to manage all of it, believe me. I think about getting rid of History SL as I do not really need it and it just takes more time of me.  I want to study in the USA, at one of Ivy League universities, so maybe they would appreciate the fact that I study more subjects than it is required? What do you think? Does it really matter? 

Edited by littlebirdsaved

Hello!

I applied to colleges years ago myself, but I only had 6 of the normal subjects and it was enough to get an Ivy offer or two. Doing the IB already is a demanding courseload, you don't need more.

There was a student on IBS who graduated this past May and she did 9 subjects (6HLs and 3SLs!) and it was completely unnecessary.

Only do 7 subjects if you're genuinely interested in your seventh, additional subject and if you think you can manage getting high grades (seeing as you're aiming for Ivy League) in all of them simultaneously. Even if you doubt your interest/ability to get a high grade in a subject, there's absolutely no reason to continue taking it.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Arrowhead. Don't stress yourself any more than you have to. I take 4 HL's and 2 SL's and so far, it's been fine as far as university interests. I've even had a few of the Ivy Leagues request specific interviews. Take the extra time you have and pursue extracurricular interests; mainly, just do something that you love.

Also, if I may add just as a sidenote, don't just look at the Ivies! They aren't the only ones out there!