Prepping Early for HL Biology & Chemistry

NiCKEL

Which chapters are the most important in the first year of HL Chemistry HL Biology? I have spare time during break and some more time for the rest of this semester and I just want to study ahead a bit. Which chapters are generally keys for the grade 11 year? 

(I don't actually have to accomplish much, it's not like I'm bad at this, or I'm low on time or whatever. I'm just bored)

I think each school has a different order for teaching. For my school, in the first year of IB we learned atomic structure, periodicity, bonding, energetics, kinetics and equilibrium. I think atomic structure and bonding are really important as they sort of set the foundation for the rest of the chapters. But none of them are too difficult topics actually.

Bio: I don't know about "important" chapters but IB likes to test on DNA... and transportation, like facilitated, osmosis, diffusion, etc seems to come up over and over again in grade 12. Biochem (carbs lipids proteins etc) also comes up in one of the chem options  but I don't know if you're going to be doing that. You could just study ahead for bio using books or something, it's pretty easy to learn by yourself.

Chem: Quantitative chemistry is super important for any future chapter. Stoic especially - it's used in almost every chapter. Periodicity and bonding - things like solubility, melting point, etch and reasons for those (size of atomic radii, intermolecular forces) come up later as well. Intermolecular forces are actually really important - VDW, dipole-dipole, H-bonding.. Energetics isn't that important in that it doesn't really come up in other topics besides a little in organic chem.

Like Twilight said, atomic structure and bonding (I think periodicity as well as stoichiometry) really set the foundation for a lot of things. And even if they don't make sense now, things in periodicity make a lot more sense after some of the grade 12 chapters.

BTW, what school do you go to? I'm assuming you're in BC because of the time but you're taking all the courses my school offers in a set "pathway" they recommend.. Just curious I understand if you wanna keep that private... 

• 2 weeks later...