Good IB textbooks

crubbish

Well, my end of years are coming, and its time to start cramming and getting a proper textbook rather then referring off the notes guides.
i do both Chem and Physic HL. If i am not wrong theres currently two different books that our teacher encourages us to use. One of them is the books under oxford the 'course companion' one the other one is from the australia. not too sure, but i will get more info on it. Oh, and thanks in advance!

[quote name='crubbish' post='23449' date='Sep 6 2008, 10:33 PM']Well, my end of years are coming, and its time to start cramming and getting a proper textbook rather then referring off the notes guides.
i do both Chem and Physic HL. If i am not wrong theres currently two different books that our teacher encourages us to use. One of them is the books under oxford the 'course companion' one the other one is from the australia. not too sure, but i will get more info on it. Oh, and thanks in advance![/quote]

I don't take physics, but I am in Chem HL.
So far, I haven't really relied on text for a lot of the topics, but I found Zumdahl very helpful for calorimetry (awesome if your G4 involves that topic), I also heard a lot of good comments about Oxford Revision notes.

Yupps, Chemistry Companion is a good one, it's by George Neuss
Advanced Chemistry - Augston and Flemming
General Chemistry by Linus Pauling (or was it Linus and Pauling)

but yeah...these are the textbooks most people recommended me...hopefully it's helpful for all the CHem HLs out there....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Solarstorm' post='24263' date='Sep 15 2008, 05:24 AM']I think for Physics - one of the good books is Physics for the IB Diploma by Tolkein[/quote]

We use this. It's published by Cambridge. It's actually really helpful. Our gr 12 physics teacher cannot teach, so most people study off that textbook.

Our school had no text book, we depended entirely on the teacher. Even though our teacher has a master in Nuclear Physics and a Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics (Mashallah), I didn't think it was right to depend entirely on him, especially in IB. So I bought "Physics for the IB Diploma" by K. A. Tsokos (Fifth Edition). (Oxford Press)

With complete honesty and not one bit of exaggeration, it is the best physics book I have come across in my entire life and I'm pretty sure it will be the best book I'll come across. (That's until they release the Sixth Edition, then I presume that will be the best) Even though it's monochrome, only black and white, and the physical book quality (as in the cover and etc) is CRAP, but the way the material inside is explained is just amazing! I recommend that book, buy it.

And for those who have the same book and disagree with me... Try reading from the beginning of the book WITHOUT SKIPPING A SINGLE LINE (and by that, I mean every single line. Don't skip anything you think you know, trust me there's stuff you wouldn't have known) and keep going till you reach the chapter about electricity and magnetism and you'll see what I mean. You'll feel you were stupid, with so much you didn't know before about the simplest of things.

ISBN: 978-0-521-70820-3

Edited by Anonymouser