I was looking up some stuff that we'd discussed in class about how far technology has advanced that there are robots taking over our jobs. 

There are Dr. Robots, construction robots, cleaning robots...etc. And the stats make it scary to think that in the next 20, 35, 50 years, many humans won't be needed to do these jobs. What will happen to our economies? How would that affect the human state of mind (depression, laziness)? 

Any thoughts on this arguably scary prospect that we could find ourselves in during our working years?

My friend sent me this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU . It pretty sums up everything that people said about robots taking over.

My personal opinion is that, yeah it seems like the robots will be taking over the jobs in the process of robot automation. But the future is not the past. So we shouldn't underestimate our creativity to provide a solution to this problem in the far-future.

robots are getting more important. no doubt. But there will always be the need for man. Eg, in War, no matter how many robots you send, you will need human instinct in cases. a fictional, but really good example (i think) is the video for "The Day that Never comes" by Metallica. In the vid, Marines help out a guy and his wife, even though they are a risk. A robot would be like "exterminate". So i figure that robots are getting more important, but the human factor will always remain.

Sorry if i seem confused, not able to figure how to explain my thoughts here

Many people have already been replaced by robots in assembly lines, for example, but I don't think we've seen any educated job be replaced yet (something you need a college degree for). When that starts happening, then we'll have a large problem with robot-induced unemployment and probably some riots. 

For you, if you think that robots becoming more important in the workforce is an inevitability, you should position yourself in a field that won't be taken over very soon. Anything that requires analysis and critical thinking is still the human strength, so be a scientist, doctor, programmer, or lawyer (can you imagine a robot lawyer?!).

To put a few things into perspective, here's an article about how technology is taking over even the creative, critical thinking jobs (architecture, medicine, law)

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/15/robot-doctors-online-lawyers-automated-architects-future-professions-jobs-technology

Here is a robot that can diagnose and take care of the basic needs of a patient, better than a physician:

http://qz.com/193919/most-of-what-your-doctor-does-a-robot-can-do-better/

Now I know media tends to stretch the truth but there IS a hint of truth and although yes, there will still be jobs, at the rate at which these bots are advancing, who is to say how many jobs will be left?

@Vioh, that's the same video that I watched and got me a doing a bit of research about this. 

• 1 month later...

We usually think of robots that may perform certain tasks for us. Some researchers have a developed walls which change color based on your emotion. Another company is working on earphones that play music based on your emotion. So is it also possible for them to develop machines (or robots) which hit us if we are feeling lazy/tired? And what if such a machine malfunctions and continues to attack?