Have I chosen the right subjects?

sjhingran

Hi! I'm hoping to do Medicine in Australia. I'm new to IB, I wanted to make sure I have chosen the right subjects, and if the workload will be too heavy. I'm in Year 10, however, I will start working on the content now.

HL Biology

HL Chemistry

HL English

SL Maths

SL Latin

SL Psychology (unsure of whether Economics is a better option?)

Open to suggestions and any information will be helpful! Thank you!

• Like 1

Hello there,

I personally think that you should take Psychology as it goes well and can be used to your next study, as Economic would a bit off from what you are going to study in the next level (which in this case, Medicine).

Tips: Try to finish your IA(s) and Extended Essay, also CAS, in your first year. So you could revise better in the second year.

Good luck, sjhingran!

Edited by saudade

Your subjects sound good. Re: Psychology versus Economics, honestly I'd say take whichever interests you more and which will require the least work for the best score outcome. You want your 'misc' SL to be an easy one so you've got more time to ace Biology and Chemistry which are both quite time consuming! Psychology is just learning a load of studies (so will suit a memoriser!), it's not going to be any more or less useful to you in the future so don't base any decisions on that, and Economics is probably better if you're a little more mathematical. Economics is a slightly more 'hard' subject (in the sense that Psychology is more of a soft subject) but this isn't a big factor at SL.

From the last IB stats bulletin, 10% of students in SL Economics got a 7 compared with 5% of Psychology students if you want some hard evidence on which to base your choice :P

http://www.ibo.org/contentassets/bc850970f4e54b87828f83c7976a4db6/may-2014-stats-bulletin.pdf

Your subjects sound good. Re: Psychology versus Economics, honestly I'd say take whichever interests you more and which will require the least work for the best score outcome. You want your 'misc' SL to be an easy one so you've got more time to ace Biology and Chemistry which are both quite time consuming! Psychology is just learning a load of studies (so will suit a memoriser!), it's not going to be any more or less useful to you in the future so don't base any decisions on that, and Economics is probably better if you're a little more mathematical. Economics is a slightly more 'hard' subject (in the sense that Psychology is more of a soft subject) but this isn't a big factor at SL.

From the last IB stats bulletin, 10% of students in SL Economics got a 7 compared with 5% of Psychology students if you want some hard evidence on which to base your choice :P

http://www.ibo.org/contentassets/bc850970f4e54b87828f83c7976a4db6/may-2014-stats-bulletin.pdf

Thanks for your response. I'd say that I am going to stick with Psychology, just out of interest and seeing the syllabus it seems to suit me more. Thanks so much for the help! :)

Hello there,

I personally think that you should take Psychology as it goes well and can be used to your next study, as Economic would a bit off from what you are going to study in the next level (which in this case, Medicine).

Tips: Try to finish your IA(s) and Extended Essay, also CAS, in your first year. So you could revise better in the second year.

Good luck, sjhingran!

Thank you for responding! I am going to take Psychology :) And thanks for the tip!