Two HL Sciences?

globetrotter

Okay, so the IB coordinators strongly discourage all students from taking two HL sciences. However, I had really been planning on taking HL Chem and HL Bio. In my school (not sure if it's this way everywhere--USA insists on doing everything differently) you take the first year of the science (ex: IB Chem I)and then choose if you want your second year of that science, if you choose to take it, to be HL or SL. The first year is about the pace of an SL class. Pretty much all the sciences in my school are that way except Bio, which you must declare as an HL in grade 11. So, my question is, is taking two HL sciences as hard as everyone makes it sound? Or is it doable? Right now I'm taking IB Physics I and IB Bio HL I simultaneously and maintaining As in both courses hasn't been too much of a struggle.

Thanks so much for any feedback!

I am taking HL Physics and HL Chemistry. My IB coordinators have not suggested nor recommended for any of my classmates to take only one HL sciences. The double sciences is definitely doable as long as you are willing to commit yourself to the work.

It can be a lot of work, but it's definitely doable - especially when you have two sciences that are overlapping such as Chem/Bio or Chem/Physics. 

Okay, that is what I hoping to hear. Thank you both!

• Like 1

Just an after thought/question, At my school, after the first couple weeks we were not allowed to switch what courses we are taking, is it possible at your school to stop switch your courses half way through the program?

Edited by irossi

Just an after thought/question, At my school, after the first couple weeks we were not allowed to switch what courses we are taking, is it possible at your school to stop switch your courses half way through the program?

It is possible to switch courses up until the end of the first quarter, and then I think you're stuck with what you've got. But usually the first quarter is 2-3 months, so that's a pretty ample amount of time.

i distinctly remember the head of science at my school saying to only take 2 hl sciences if you're a strong science person but strong is a pretty subjective word but a lot of people at my school are taking 2 hl sciences and doing really well and you seem like tis what you want to do so i would recommend :)

I've never heard of people being discouraged from doing 2 sciences, I did both HL Chem and Biology and it's not a problem. The only challenge is around exam time when there's a lot to learn in a short space of time, but that's not impossible either. Besides whatever subject you take as your other HL there'll probably be quite a bit to learn :P If you're big on science or you need those subjects for University applications then go for it.

The only time I'd suggest people think quite hard before deciding is if they're trying to do the evil three - HL Maths, Chemistry and Physics!

• 2 weeks later...