Do you think society places unreasonable demands based on gender?

King112

I was thinking about this. I mean, society expects girls to be soft, pretty, thin etc. and expects guys to be strong, muscular, emotionless. I've been lucky that my parents dont really care about that, and ive had a chance to show emotion all the time, but I have friends whose parents have been like "your a boy, you shouldnt cry". or "Your a girl, if your not thin, what will people say?" So what do you guys think? Is society unreasonable?

• Like 2

I couldn't agree more. the society nowadays is just insane and all you have to do is ignore them. don't dwell on what they say and just carry on. For me, my parents always scold me when I cried or being emotional.When i was still really young and innocent, my family, friends or even teachers inculcated me some unreasonable concepts like ( girls can cry, boys cant, or gay is not acceptable , or women should stay at home and just be a housewife and so on....) There are just so many weird people and you really shouldnt take them too seriously. 

Edited by Guest

Yes. I, similalry to King112, was lucky enough to have parents who didn't care about this kind of things but I feel sorry for girls who are taught that they are worthless if they aren't thin and pretty or if they don't stay home in the kitchen or boys who are taught that they should be tough and not show their emotions or otherwise they aren't manly enough. Some girls are more interested in making a career than being a housewifes and some boys are sensitive and I don't see any problem with this. People are different! To be honest, I think society would be much happier without the gender roles.

• Like 3

I guess you just have to do what you want to do, behave how you want to behave, at the expense of looking 'strange' or weird to society :P

well, its hard isnt it. if everyone makes fun of you? I mean, if your a millionaire, nobody gives a flying ****, but if your not, then its hard right

yea, well sometimes you put society in front of staying true to yourself in order to protect yourself.......

I think It is tougher for you if you try to be the ''perfect'' guy in front of the others and always live under their shadow.  You can protect yourself by acting you are one of them, but just don't let them get into the real you. This is just the skill the we need to survive in the society.

Edited by Guest

Discussions like this always rub me the wrong way. Usually those who are 'against' society are talking as if they play no part in it and have all the answers. To be honest, a lot of people probably further the traditions they claim to dislike. 

I've also found the expectations that people think exist are often just projections of their own fears. Like guys having to me muscular and girls having to be thin. A brief look out the window will show that people are in relationships with people of all types. 

Of course, there are reasons to oppose certain discussions but very rarely do I see people place themselves in the spotlight for criticism. It's always something else or someone else making the mistakes. 

• Like 3

Well, I'm the freak girl who does multiple math and physics courses, and some of the schoolmates really don't seen to understand that there can be a girl who isn't into humanities and arts, but guess what? If its problem to someone then it is. Its not a problem to me. :D

Heheh funny enough, I'm into maths and physics, as well, then again, live also for literature and photography. :D

Well, if you hide behind a shadow, dont you enventually become a shadow? Like if you try to be a tough guy, eventually, thats what you become right?

If you want to be a tough guy, there is no problem with that. But if someone compelled you to be someone you are not, just don't listen to them. You are forced to be one of them. For me, I am not gonna change myself for the others.

I mean,  just don't go with the flow and let people confine you. Stay firm if you think you are right .

Put it this way, when everyone says a dog is a cat, would you be one of those ignorant people and simply follow the WRONG thing? (that is a stupid example i know...., but i hope you know what i mean.

Edited by Guest

I don't think it's good to change for society.

I have experience from doing that, I tried to be something I'm not to be popular. It exhausted me, to play a role, listen the **** they spoke about other girls and even each other, and research about hunger games and latest trends on teen fashion, I found hunger games boring as hell (no offense for those who like it) and just weren't into fashion nor had money to buy trend clothes, nor I wanted to use too revealing ones. I didn't want to be part of backstabbing and bullying, but I didn't dare to say anything. I almost fell to anorexia, even if like three years ago I had a bit of overweight.

Nowadays I don't care about others opinion. I don't have any friends nor a boyfriend, but at least I'm happy. I dress to simple but pretty clothes, and make makeups I feel beautiful with. Only good thing popularity brought to me is that I lost my overweight and am skinny now :D. I openly love math and physics I never dared to speak about before. I even intentionally failed math tests to be cool. I don't want back to time I had those friends. Of course I would apprechiate someone to speak with, but things are way they are and it seems I need to sacrifice things for other things. Question of choice really, just my two cents. :)

• 2 weeks later...