A question. Have you ever complained a teacher ?

So, one of my teacher is a just a rubbish ( sorry i don't wanna be rude but it is what she is ). She really doesn't know what she is doing and it is such a burden and a shame that i have her. So, our class went to the head of the IB department and complained about her. I don't regret doing it and I firmly believe that i did the right thing. But here is the problem, Our school can't arrange a better teacher for us so she is still my teacher, so she will be the one giving me predicted grade for my uni application. I am kinda worried that she is gonna give us bad grades in return ( REVENGE). Have you had any such experience before? How have you done?

I think what your class did was wrong. You all should have talked to her first , you guys should have told her what you don't like about her teaching method (s), how she should improve and what you'd prefer she do so you guys understand things better. And then you should have given her some time to process and to implement the changes you recommended. Now if you'd done that and she didn't change her teaching method one bit then I would have approached the IB coordinator and informed he/she of the teacher. In such situations you need to be mature and approach the person you have an issue with before approaching the person who is head. What you did was actually quite disrespectful. 

Seeing as the damage has been done there is no going back. But I highly doubt she'd lower your grades as a mean of getting revenge  :wacko: If she's the slightest bit moral she definitely won't do that. I wouldn't worry if I were you. However, if she does end up giving you a predicted score that is lower than the average grade you received in class then definitely get your parents to talk to the IB coordinator - no teacher has the right to rob a student of the grade they achieved (this has happened to me before, it sucks!). I recommend you focus on trying your best in the class and doing as best as you can. Self studying isn't all that bad if it's a subject that is mainly memorization based like biology (I know cz my bio teacher sucks and I have to self study). 

P.S. I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just trying to inform you of the better thing to do in this sort of situation. I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago with a teacher, my friend and I did the exact same thing your class did. It didn't turn out well but the teacher was nice enough to allow us to explain the problems we had with his teaching method. I definitely learn't my lesson! 

• Like 2

I think what your class did was wrong. You all should have talked to her first , you guys should have told her what you don't like about her teaching method (s), how she should improve and what you'd prefer she do so you guys understand things better. And then you should have given her some time to process and to implement the changes you recommended. Now if you'd done that and she didn't change her teaching method one bit then I would have approached the IB coordinator and informed he/she of the teacher. In such situations you need to be mature and approach the person you have an issue with before approaching the person who is head. What you did was actually quite disrespectful. 

Seeing as the damage has been done there is no going back. But I highly doubt she'd lower your grades as a mean of getting revenge  :wacko: If she's the slightest bit moral she definitely won't do that. I wouldn't worry if I were you. However, if she does end up giving you a predicted score that is lower than the average grade you received in class then definitely get your parents to talk to the IB coordinator - no teacher has the right to rob a student of the grade they achieved (this has happened to me before, it sucks!). I recommend you focus on trying your best in the class and doing as best as you can. Self studying isn't all that bad if it's a subject that is mainly memorization based like biology (I know cz my bio teacher sucks and I have to self study). 

P.S. I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just trying to inform you of the better thing to do in this sort of situation. I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago with a teacher, my friend and I did the exact same thing your class did. It didn't turn out well but the teacher was nice enough to allow us to explain the problems we had with his teaching method. I definitely learn't my lesson! 

I guess you are right, but the thing is, we kind of mentioned it to her before, I mean, the whole class talked to her about the homework she was giving us is pointless and the lessons are not helping us. We did it as tactful as we could but she didn't really change anything. 

I disagree with Pink97. My chemistry teacher was a nice person, but very bad at teaching. He lacked enthusiasm and never gave us tests and cancelled all of our assignments. He was so polite, but we were too scared to tell him, because we were scared that it would hurt him. So we went to the IB Coordinator Office, and told them. We weren't saying it in a way, that portrayed HATRED or IGNORANCE. She could understand us, but actually recommended that we would tell him face to face. And so we did. And everything is fine now.  :D  He was reeeeeally happy that we told him, he said that he honestly didn't notice and likes when students tell him how he should teach the class.

I don't think what your class did was wrong, it was wrong for your IB Coordinators not to direct you back to your teacher and "confront" her. :)

• Like 1

I partly agree with Pink97. I do believe that you should have definitely DIRECTLY talked to your teacher about your issues with her teaching as an entire class. But I also think you should talk to the IB coordinator as well. Some teachers don't take student's advice into account and if yours was unwilling to do so, then keeping your IB coordinator updated on your situation would've helped bring support to the students. From experience, some teachers listen to other teachers (or authoritative figures in the school) rather than their students. 

And yes, if the problem worsens and your predicted is not what you earned then definitely get your parents involved. But before you do that, I think you should book an appointment with said teacher and talk to her one on one about your predicted before it comes out. It's lack of communication between students and their teachers that cause such problems. The more you talk to her about what you wish to achieve and what you think/know you're achieving, the more she'll pay attention. At least, this has been the case for me.

I am actually experiencing the same problem with my ESS teacher, she is completely new to the course and has completely no idea what she is talking about. Henceforth as a class we decided to self study and share notes as well as solve any problems that we encounter together. 

I am actually experiencing the same problem with my ESS teacher, she is completely new to the course and has completely no idea what she is talking about. Henceforth as a class we decided to self study and share notes as well as solve any problems that we encounter together. 

But you didn't complain her?

We had problems with our Math teacher and Psychology teacher -- the first hardly spoke English in lessons making it very difficult to navigate in the topics, and the Psychology teacher was absent so often that we started thinking we'll never catch up. We went to our supervisor about it and she discussed it with both teachers -- and damn, the Math teacher got significantly better and didn't give us any ****. Which the Psychology teacher did, but she also improved. And now they're both aware of what bothers us and the classes are much more comfortable.

I don't think a teacher will 'avenge' you, that's not their job, and besides -- you went with the whole class, right? If she marks down the whole class, her teaching abilities will be under question, so I don't think she'd do that either. I really hope it will go well for you!

I agree with Pink 97 (very sensible and fair) and with ellie. It's always best to be open, responsible and adult. (ok, so much for that)

If that doesn't work, just tell her that you plan to bring in the coordinator or head of department to help with finding a solution. (done already)

I don't think teachers take revenge on students, unless they really have a personal problem/issue. If you are open and honest, then teachers have no reason to take things personally. 

If the school can't sort things out, then you just have to go it alone and learn without the teacher. We're all capable of that, and in fact i wonder how we (students) should have ever felt we need to rely on teachers to learn ... 

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 1

I agree with Pink 97 (very sensible and fair) and with ellie. It's always best to be open, responsible and adult. (ok, so much for that)

If that doesn't work, just tell her that you plan to bring in the coordinator or head of department to help with finding a solution. (done already)

I don't think teachers take revenge on students, unless they really have a personal problem/issue. If you are open and honest, then teachers have no reason to take things personally. 

If the school can't sort things out, then you just have to go it alone and learn without the teacher. We're all capable of that, and in fact i wonder how we (students) should have ever felt we need to rely on teachers to learn ...   

I know I could teach myself and learn stuffs without a teacher. But What i am concerned is what is the point of wasting 6 hours per week and doing nothing ? I hate wasting my time while i am paying such costly school fee and getting nothing back. I did try to find a solution with a tactful approach, we talked to the teacher about my worries and so on but she just simply ignore it. I can't bear her  anymore and I think I need to ask for help, It is the right thing to do I guess......... There are some teachers just simply don't care about their student and not doing their job... :(

Edited by Guest

i do a lot

ex A: my japanese class is up to our third teacher during ib and because there's so much turnover and our teacher is new she has no clue what she's doing at all and is incredibly hopeless. after one week of having her i started talking to her saying she was giving us too easy work (she was/is giving us work that is easier than ab initio and we're doing sl so???) and that she teaches too slowly. I then said this to her about twice every lesson and then today i went and spoke to the head of department because we are honestly being severely disadvantaged by having a teacher who is not teaching us anything. so yeah generally i talk to my teacher then head of department then ib coordinator then deputy ear of school and then head of school if the problem was not fixed at an earlier point. so yeah head of department said she would talk to her but idk if that will make any difference we can only hope :)))

ex B: my english teacher is hopeless (i've ranted about him in other posts i won't do it again) and thats a mutual opinion in our class. so yeah i spoke to him and nothing was done and i spoke to head of department again nothing was done and at the moment i keep going between them because they aren't making any changes. i've also spoken to another teacher (physics so hardly anything to do with english lol) and he has brought it up at an ib teacher meeting thing and we've spoken to ib coordinator

ex C: not me but my years chemistry class have complained to head of department and now the ib1 class has a different teacher--victory!

at my school even if you complain nothing is done it kinda sucks lol

• 4 weeks later...

But you didn't complain her?

Sorry for replying late, haven't been here for a while. Nope as a class we came to a consensus not to complain to the school about our teacher.