Can I study engineering with Ib math SL?

Bitte

For the very top universities, probably not. But for middle-tier universities (such as mine), it should be fine, especially since you have HL physics and chemistry. In the US you'll usually just start in a first-semester calculus course that will be a lot of review for you, as the first course is typically single-variable differential calculus.

Let me know if you have any other questions about engineering in the US.

• Like 1

Btw I'm taking Physics HL and Chemistry HL and I want to go to the U.S for college. 

It really depends on the university you want to apply to. You're better off searching for the university you want to apply to and sending their Admission's Office an email asking for the requirements. Usually, the requirements are somewhere on the university's website.

Also, I'd suggest staying in Math HL if you can. All you need is a 5 or a 6 and studying engineering will be a breeze as it'll increase your uni options and remove a few credits for ya.

In my school, our maths teachers said that you can get into engineering with SL maths. So they suggested that everyone who wants to do engineering do SL maths, rather than maths studies, since noone at my school ended up doing HL maths.

However, I do encourage you to double check on that. And ask your university of choice for their requirements. 

• Like 1

I think it depends on the type of engineering as well. I think electrical and mechanical engineering need Math HL a lot more than physics. Although Material, Environmental or Geotechnical engineering is something which would benefit more from physics HL. 
So I guess it really just depends what type of engineer you want to become.

You could take math SL for some engineering course and for selective universities but you will miss out on college credits which will help a lot. Taking math HL also makes you application look better and competitive. It will also help save you from the sudden onset of difficulty

of University math. I am not sure about this but I think it should also make physics HL and chemistry HL go on smoothly.

Basically, there is no harm in taking math SL. It's not like there is no university in the US that won't accept math SL. But taking math HL will give you a wider choice and many more advantages.

Edited by TDgen47@IB

• 4 years later...