HL Computer science + SL math?

crayway

Hi, I'm considering taking HL Comp sci as one of my highers, but I'm also (definitely) taking SL math. Is my math level good enough? Or do I need to be taking HL math if I want to do HL Comp sci?

Thanks!

Also, here are my planned classes:

HL Computer Science

HL Physics

HL Literature

SL Spanish

SL Math

SL/HL History (Idk about this one yet)

A class mate of mine is taking Math Studies with me and SL computer science and she is doing fine. She says that you don't have more complicated stuff unless you take HL, but in HL the math is still based on logic. I should also tell you that no one in my school is able to take HL maths, but my school still offers HL computer science. Obviously the school and the IB thinks that it is manageable to take math studies and SL computer science, so you should be fine with SL math.

I believe it would be really helpful to have the combination of math HL and computer science HL , as many areas of computer science require some really advanced maths, and your university application will be more competitive if you have maths HL. 

I will be taking HL Computer Science but my teacher is always going on about how HL is recommended so you think more "abstractly" but i dont always agree, i am soing SL and plan on getting a 7 in HL Computer Science so ill think you should be as long as you know a thing or 2. I am also going to take HL Physics along with it all if that helps

Edited by corbyndaskuxx

• 2 months later...

You really do not need that much math in IB computer science. I have Math SL and CS HL and I have no problem in understanding the algorithms or anything. Most of my CS class mates have Math SL  as well and they have no problems.