Acceptance into IB program

tabuteautally

Do all schools go through an application process which determines a student's acceptance into their school's IB program?

At my high school (United States) all potential IB applicants submit an anonymous application which goes through two rounds of review by three teachers. If the application passes, students are invited to interview and are then accepted into the program based off the success of the interview.

I recently went though the application process and was rejected during the anonymous review process due to my most recent quarter and midterm grades which slumped dramatically. I have one horrendous quarter grade in my math course, and three bad midterm grades in my math, chemistry, and latin classes. These six weeks of school, albeit being extremely important, are barring my acceptance to be in the IB program for my junior and senior year. While I acknowledge the fact that this is fair grounds to be rejected upon, all of my previous grades have been close to stellar. I have chosen an IB courseload that will avoid mishaps like I have had recently-

HL Biology

HL English (required)

HL History of the Americas(required)

SL Maths Studies

SL Latin

SL Music

(along with Honors Physics as an elective)

The courses that I would have to revert to on the AP track would not only be less enjoyable for me, but also more difficult. What really bugs me is that I seem to have been the only student rejected since the start of the program at my school, and many other students who have grades comparable to mine at different points in their academic career have been accepted. I also wish to have the extra boost because I am interested in pursuing a college education in the UK, and although I will still be able to do so, it will not be as convenient.  

Upon receiving the email that my application was rejected, I have obviously become extremely stressed and anxious because I have been looking forward to joining the program for at least three years, and I have based my previous high school courses around what my IB courses would need. I have emailed the coordinator of the program back and the latest I can meet with him is next week; which will be after interviews are finished. 

Is there any chance that I can convince him that he should not make this decision off of six bad weeks of my life? Does anyone have experience surrounding this type of situation? Any anecdotes and/or advice would be much appreciated. 

Edited by tabuteautally

• 1 month later...

Oh wow. My school doesn't really reject someone for IB, and there really isn't a selection process. Only thing is that you don't have serious attendance issues and such. 

Hmm... I would explain the situation to him and at the very least try to get a conditional offer that you'll improve your grades or something like that for the reminder of the school year. Though I don't know how your school is like. Your course selection is pretty easy and should help in convincing him that you make it in IB. Good luck. 

i don't know if this will sound really naive but can you just change to another school for ib? because the school i was at in yr 10 didn't offer ib so i changed to a school that does and i didn't need to do any ib interviews or applications or w/e? i don't know how convenient that might be for you but if your school is making it such a pain for you then i don't think theres a problem in considering another school, especially when you're as eager to do it as you seem

• 2 weeks later...

In Sweden, all children go to Obligatory school, primary and middle school. At year 9, students do the national exams and are then supposed to choose what High school to go to. These high schools can be separate from the school you currently go to. However, that was different for me. I am in year 9 and have been going to an IB obligatory school from year 8 (EYP, PYP, and MYP 1-4). I chose to continue to the IB Diploma. As you may all know, next year means preIB, MYP 5.

We basically apply through a website. The IB DP school sends a reply saying wether we are given an interview or not. ON the day of the interview, we also conduct entrance exams which are fairly easy. If you pass, you get in. If not, you are still accepted with the chance of getting kicked out if you do not do well in preIB.