If you don't have to work hard for good grades, do you deserve them as much as someone who does?

lizzyh_17

So a lot of people at my school have been talking about how if someone doesn't work hard, but still gets an A in a class (without cheating), they don't deserve the grade as much as someone who has to study a lot to get the same grade. I know how it feels to be on both sides, as certain subjects are challenging for me while others are more intuitive, and I found this almost offensive. Curious to hear other people's thoughts on this.

I've thought about this at least a hundred times as well. I know I too have some good subjects that I just know well and love but others that I really need to work hard for. So I know what it's like to be on both sides and I know I'm probably guilty of thinking those who easily understand some subjects without working, well it's just not fair. But I've never thought they don't DESERVE it. The fact that they are able to understand that/those subject(s) better simply means they think better in that way. Linguistically, numerically, logically...etc. Everyone is different; everyone has strengths and weaknesses and if one achieves good grades because of their strengths, I think we should be applauding them rather than tearing them down. We should be encouraging each other to do better rather than pulling them down, keeping them from reaching heights. I mean, if it weren't for those who find certain subjects so naturally, we wouldn't be as far as we are in technology, science, math, arts, language, humanities....everything! 

Warning, I'm going a little off topic here because I thought of something else that sort of ties into this:

Continuing on the with the idea that we need to be encouraging each other. We're the human RACE, one species. We live together, we make mistakes together, we succeed together. It's a TEAM effort. And what bigger team is there than supporting every one of those around you for a better impact in the world, a positive change? And if nothing, then at least don't break their day by telling them they don't DESERVE something they either love and/or simply understand better than average. That's THEIR success and we should be cheering them on, just as we would expect they do for us. Working on our strengths, encouraging others, being able to even put a smile on their face by congratulating them on a good result or telling them you admire their _______ skills will improve humanity. One person at a time. Everyone deserves success for what they work for, what their good at, what they like to do...etc.

That's my take on it :)

• Like 3

I don't think its a matter of deserving or not deserving. Some people are born talented, with certain capabilities that others don't posses. This allows them to perform tasks without much effort, while the others have to work hard to complete the same task. That just means that the others have to work harder. At the end of the day you work for yourself, not so you can show it off and prove something to people. 

• Like 2

So a lot of people at my school have been talking about how if someone doesn't work hard, but still gets an A in a class (without cheating), they don't deserve the grade as much as someone who has to study a lot to get the same grade. I know how it feels to be on both sides, as certain subjects are challenging for me while others are more intuitive, and I found this almost offensive. Curious to hear other people's thoughts on this.

Well, it depends on how you look at education. If your perspective is that, when leaving the class at the end of the year, the student should be able to do the tasks outlined, then the student who does it naturally and the one who had to work to do it are equal now, and deserve the same grade to reflect that. If you believe that the subject doesn't matter and instead all that matters is how hard you work... well, I don't even know how to respond to that. It doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps the student who has it come naturally to them needs to be in a more challenging class if that's the case, but I think if they can get all the same points as the one who studied, then they should get (and deserve) the same grade. 

• Like 2

I think you will be reading the same thing about what I'm going to write regarding to your question. Like others, I think if your perspective on deserving something depends on how they do it or the effort that they put, then, there you go. But life isn't always fair to everyone. Maybe you have to try a little bit harder compared to that person who just attends the class and without even studying, can get straight A's.

If you're asking this question based on your observation of your smart friend who seems like he doesn't study at all but still get straight A's, are you 100% sure that he never puts any effort in getting that? Maybe he has his own way of studying which we normally say, 'Don't study hard, but instead, study smart.' Have you tried asking him?

But if you're the one who's getting straight A's without studying and just wondering if you deserve it, now, it depends on how you look at the required amount of effort to deserve the straight A's. If you feel like you're not working as hard as your friends who didn't get straight A's, but studied harder than you, then try to think of it differently. Maybe there are some ways that you have unconsciously used in order to understand/remember things faster than they do. 

Regards.

Edited by FrozenUnicorn

Your post reminded me about a funny anecdote that an old teacher once told me: "if you're not cheating, you're not trying." Haha XD I'm not sure if this is all true, but I suppose it makes sense at certain levels. In my opinion an A is an A and a 7 is a 7. So in a way, it doesn't matter how you get it, as long as you get it. And a person who gets it, deserves it. Of course this is my own opinion and a little bit stoic, but I think it is true. Cheers! 

• Like 1

Even those that cheat arguably deserve the grade they get, because they were wl\illing to put everything at risk. It all comes down to how much work YOU put into it, not someone else. Other people's grades are not your business or worry, so you should just focus on what you get.

Well, yeah. Of course they do. Why would you punish someone that's good at something for not having to work? It's counter-intuitive, the grade is the goal.

On the other side of the spectrum, you get a lot of elitists who consider themselves "naturally endowed" (whether they are is besides the point) that don't study at all and consider themselves better than the people who have to, even if they get worse grades.

Now that's just silly. I used to be one of those until I realized it made me a jerk - in the end, no one is going to care whether you could have done something or not, because clearly you chose not to. You've got to grow up eventually.

• Like 1