~~ Do you believe in the theory of evolution? ~~

Flow4421

I'm doing a TOK presentation, about the Theory of Evolution, and I, obviously, need to relate it to TOK. So I was wondering why people did/did not believe in the Theory of Evolution. There is two types of arguments, the classic arguments, and the others ( Why people think differently) which I have assiociated with those ways of knowing: Reason, Intuition and faith

So, could you answer the question which is in the Topic Title, and give reasons why?

:)

Yeah, so you're using reasoning. I completely agree, but people around the world don't have the same opinion. Some people do believe in Evolution, however, they believe that it is guided by God.

An interesting fact that I read online is that the higher your education, the more you believe in Evolution, I think it was about:

21% believe in evolution if they had a High school education or less

34% if you graduated

54% if you went to university

And 74% for post graduates

Interesting huh?

• Like 1

I agree, religion (Faith for TOK) has a huge effect on your opinion about the Theory of Evolution. The topics you are interested too, for example, someone which studies sciences is more likely to believe in Darwin's theory. Even though some really good scientists are still religious.

Yes, I believe in Theory of Evolution

Do you have reasons?

Theory of Evolution is currenlty the most logical reason to why species are as they are, and its supported by scientific evidence.

Of course I _know_ nothing for sure, but other explanations like gods seem too ridiculous to believe.

In other words I believe in the theory that has evidence backing it up and I'm ready to fix my beliefs as new evidence is revealed. Currently the Theory of Evolution is the theory with most evidence supporting it.

I definitely "believe" in the theory of evolution. In fact, I think it is such a fascinating process I hope to study evolutionary biology in university. I, too, believe in evolution based on my reason. To me, it seems to be the most logical, evidence-supported, probable way to explain the biological complexity we see around us. I think the main reasons that people do not believe in evolution are a) misconceptions and misunderstanding. For example, people often explain evolution as "we came from monkeys" which strikes many people as absurd, and therefore they "don't believe in it." b) No offense intended, but fundamentalist religion encourages people to believe in what they are told by the church without fail and this leads to people being rather closed minded when it comes to scientific theories that at the face seem to go against religion. 

If you're particularly interested in the topic, like I am, I highly recommend Richard Dawkins' books. I've read The God Delusion and it was magnificent. I believe he has others that deal specifically with the belief/nonbelief in evolution, I haven't gotten around to reading them yet. It strikes me as rather odd that people say they don't "believe" in evolution or the big bang theory, but no one ever says they don't believe in the general theory of relativity! 

• Like 2

What an intertesting question and timing. We are currently reading "Inherit the wind" which has to do with the theory of evolution and stuff; pretty interesting! Even though the book isn't really that scientific and is a drama play, I really recommend it to anyone that would like to see science and religion fight in a courtroom (especially during the 1920s in America!)

I personally do believe in the theory of evolution. There are more and more proofs that kinda join together and start to make more and more sense. I just don't think that human just "appeared" because we are the most intelligent species, so it must have taken quite a while for us to evolve. When you think about it it is pretty logical as well. 

Just my personal opinion though :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Although it seems a significant group do not beñieve in the theory of evolution, which is totally acceptable as it is only a theory, I personally believe that it is true as firstly we do not have any better alternate explanation for the rise of the human and animal species, we have found significant evidence to support the theory and lastly there is no real evidence to dispeove such theory.

Personally I believe the potential truth and evidence outweigh the falsification of the theory and I stand believing in the theory.

Although it seems a significant group do not believe in the theory of evolution, which is totally acceptable as it is only a theory,

Though I'm glad that you are not one of those fundamentalists who are evolution-deniers, but I deeply disagree with this statement that you've made above. It is totally UNACCEPTABLE to deny the theory of evolution!!! I've heard this "just-a-theory" argument a lot from so many people, but it is a fallacy and is probably a misinterpretation of what the term "theory" really means when scientists refer to the theory of evolution. Read more here: http://www.notjustatheory.com/

Evolution is NOT a hypothesis. It is a FACT.

• Like 1

What an intertesting question and timing. We are currently reading "Inherit the wind" which has to do with the theory of evolution and stuff; pretty interesting! Even though the book isn't really that scientific and is a drama play, I really recommend it to anyone that would like to see science and religion fight in a courtroom (especially during the 1920s in America!)

We read that too! It was definitely one of my favourite plays. 

As for evolution, I can't pretend to be an expert in that. I do not know the details so I can't say I can agree or disagree with them. However, since there is scientific evidence to support the general idea of evolution, I am more inclined to believe it. On the other hand, most other theories lack credible proof. 

Edited by Schrödinger's CAS