Which one is harder at HL - Chemistry or Physics?

bingbangsurvivor

Just out of curiousity - and preparation... I'm taking both of them at HL, and I was wondering wether those who took them (or know people who did) - both - at HL could tell me the differences in amount of work, how easy/hard is to get a 7, or anyway a top grade.

Oooh and if you did your extended essays on them, was it easy of harder compared to others' (in terms of work and effort and grade attained)...?

Physics HL is harder by far.

I believe the mark boundary for a 7 in chem HL is a 72%+ and for physics, it's slightly lower.

Mark boundaries are not an accurate form of comparison due to the fact that different number of people take each class. take for example HL bio, who has 15,000 students taking the exam - and only 3% of people get the 7. Chemistry you have around 7,000 and people with a 7 get 9%. I believe physics was a 7% for 7's, but I dont remember how many people took it. If you would like to REALLY know if the two subjects are difficult, you should asking someone taking both. I personally don't take Physics (Hl Chem and Hl Bio), but my friend in the UK does. He is a 2009 May candidate, and so far he would tel you that HL chem is harder. Besides the fact that he scored higher on his physics IA, the papers 1,2,3 for chem are more difficult than Physics for him. Chem is a lot more applied knowledge, while Physics is conceptual. Thats what he would tell you. However, he is predicted a 6 in both subjects as of now.

I couldn't really make an effort to tell you about Physics...but I can tell you the papers for chem are extremely hard.

I'm in IB2 of Chem HL and must say that I simply LOVE it.

I don't find it difficult at all and our class has an average of 7. (with 8 or 9 ppl taking Chem HL)

I think Chem HL is the only class in which I actually enjoy EVERY single minute.

however, most of the ppl taking Physics in our school are failing...both SL and HL.

this could be highly subjective, as it's just our school..

could be different for other schools tho. dunno.

HL Chemistry and Physycis are both easy but in different ways. HL chemistry is easier, because it only cost your time to remember things. Hence, if you pay more time on reciting ,a high mark is 100% ensured. HL physics is easier because you can get a good mark without costing too much time. But this need your brain to be smart and thoughtful. When you have deeply understood principles of physics, you don't need to spend much time on remembering boring facts and paragraphs.

Just out of curiousity - and preparation... I'm taking both of them at HL, and I was wondering wether those who took them (or know people who did) - both - at HL could tell me the differences in amount of work, how easy/hard is to get a 7, or anyway a top grade.

Oooh and if you did your extended essays on them, was it easy of harder compared to others' (in terms of work and effort and grade attained)...?

i always struggled in physics...so i think chem is easier...

physics, you have to really think to understand it...

chem is more of a combination of memorisation and application, whereas physics is purely application...

physics for me is just hard to understand

It depends on you really. You know, your strengths, interests..

I don't think Im taking HL Physics because quite frankly I am not that good at Physics. I am especially bad at anything with the word: "Discuss or Explain"

Unlike me, my sis is a Physics Genius. She took HL Physics and got a 7 in it. She said it's really easy.

Though I really don't think so. CHeck the Syllabus.

I'm taking Chem SL and Physics HL, so I can only comment on Physics HL. To be perfectly honest, I don't find it to be particularly hard, you get most of the equations on the data booklet, you just need to remember concepts and what the symbols mean, if you're decent with unit analysis, the test shouldn't be much problem.

Besides, Physics HL is fun! There's relativity, particle physics and astrophysics :) I find those topics to be greatly interesting, far more than anything chemistry can provide.

YEAH, YEAH I KNOW!! :P I looked over the topics and they're soo freakin' awesome. especially in the options the 3 which u mentioned. Shame that you can't have 3 options, I think u take only 2...

it really depends on what you're best at, if you find conceptual ideas easier to understand then of course you'll end up finding physics easier...

our school's the first year of IB and everyone claims their subject is hard :P

I only do SL physics, and I hav to say it's not really difficult for me...

i do know for a fact that HL bio and chem students (many take both in my school) seem to have been coping quite well with their course and acheiving well in test results; whereas the HL physics students hav so far often failed their tests...

our only SL class did the exact end of year test as the HL physics class and a handful of us actually did much better than the HL students...

maybe that's just because there's like one HL bio and one HL chem class whilst there're three HL phy class

• 2 weeks later...
Physics HL is harder by far.

I believe the mark boundary for a 7 in chem HL is a 72%+ and for physics, it's slightly lower.

My Chem/Physics teacher told me the 7 boundary for Chem is around a 95% and physics a 70%+....

Someone help me with this.

Edit: Oh btw, Physics is so much harder. Chemsitry in gr 11 has around a 80% avg. Physics has a 53% avg currently in our class.

Edited by daniel6